Swapping pendants for recessed GU10 in hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is it OK to swap out the pendent lights in my hallway for GU10 recessed LED using these connectors -

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/d220/Interior+Lights/sd3066/Lampholder+GU10+240V/p34667

There are two pendants I'm wanting replaced. The current wiring setup in the pendant roses is exactly as shown in Fig 1A...

upload_2016-2-29_20-3-18.png

so if swapping them is OK I'd be getting rid of the roses and wiring it as Fig 1B in a choc box.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Second link didn't load for me, but the short answer is yes, but you won't need a GU10 lamp holder, you'll need an entire fitting (which will come with a lamp holder).

You might find that both pendants are on (or very close to) as joist though

You might prefer to get an integrated LED downlighter.

If you want GU10 for some reason, you would normally get the connector and bezel together; the fitting that you linked to doesn't seem to include a bezel.

What is above the ceiling? Sometimes you need a fire-rated fitting, e.g. in flats.

Thanks for answers, ive changed the broken link for a picture of the diagram.

Above one of the lights is the upstairs hallway, above the other is the bathroom floor - is that a problem for IP rating on the fixture?

Sponsored Links
Nope, don't worry about IP ratings, can you lift either of the floors to see where the joists are? Or is the hole above the pendant big enough to be able to see the joists?

If this is a "normal house", you have no fire-related requirements. Nor are there any IP requirements in the ceiling under a bathroom.

Have lifted the floor in the hallway but not the bathroom (that fitting is directly under the bath).

They are on the joists so the holes will be offset from the current rose positions, but I'm not worried about that because its being redecorated anyway.

I'd be a bit concerned you might not have enough light - you will underneath them but it might be enough.

I don't have any doubts whatsoever that when he's replaced two pendants with two 2" recessed torches he will find that he has nowhere near enough light in the hallway.

Adam - seriously - by all means replace the pendants with recessed lights, but FGS use large ones, not 2-inch ones.

And take note of what iggifier said - there's a good chance that you won't be able to install them where the current ceiling roses are.

Hi

Is it OK to swap out the pendent lights in my hallway for GU10 recessed LED using these connectors -

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/d220/Interior+Lights/sd3066/Lampholder+GU10+240V/p34667

There are two pendants I'm wanting replaced. The current wiring setup in the pendant roses is exactly as shown in Fig 1A...

View attachment 94435

so if swapping them is OK I'd be getting rid of the roses and wiring it as Fig 1B in a choc box.

You can't use bits of choc block above the ceiling. Use a junction box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back