Switching window opening.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a big bay window , two top hung sash windows and the centre fixed.
How easy is it to switch the two top hung windows to side hung. The windows are to big to be top hung and just close under their own weight , and there's no restrictors so you can open them wide open from the outside.
Any help would be grateful , I'm a general builder not a window man.

Sponsored Links
But if they're too big for top hung surely logic says they'll be too big for side hung....yes/no?

Apart from that you'll have 3 holes to fill where you move the handle from

Why not just nip up the little brass screw on the sliding guide on the hinge to gain a bit more friction, will help to keep them open under their own weight

But if they're too big for top hung surely logic says they'll be too big for side hung....yes/no?

Apart from that you'll have 3 holes to fill where you move the handle from

Why not just nip up the little brass screw on the sliding guide on the hinge to gain a bit more friction, will help to keep them open under their own weight

They seem to be to heavy for top hung, side hung would be better for weight distribution and safer for security. Holes would be easy filled and not visible by and large.

I thought about a window restrictor but I can't get one for top hung with is concealed and offers decent security .

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic or 2 so we can get an idea of the size and layout
20180628_171357.jpg
20180628_171409.jpg
20180628_171357.jpg 20180628_171409.jpg

May be possible. What is the overall height of the window inc the cill?
Generally around 1200-1300mm tall is the max for a side hung depending on the make (which is quite possibly Eurocell).

You did mention you could fill the holes from the old handle position if you turned it. They are quite large holes, 2 at about 8mm and one at around 10mm. Rather tricky to fill seamlessly.
On the other hand if it is a Eurocell window (or if we can work out the make) a couple of new sash's wouldn't cost much. The factory would also set up all the locks and hinges so all you would have to do is change the glass and move the keeps

Ah great, I think these were fitted by a company called "Ford Windows ".
Will ring tomorrow .

Strike that , there's a Euro cell warehouse 2 mins down the road. Will pop in tomorrow
Cheers mate

Last edited:
Does make you wonder how those ever passed regs, a child could easily crack their head or even lose an eye on those sashes

Ah great, I think these were fitted by a company called "Ford Windows ".
Will ring tomorrow .

Strike that , there's a Euro cell warehouse 2 mins down the road. Will pop in tomorrow
Cheers mate

Hang fire there! I'm not 100% sure its Eurocell, Unfortunately the chanfer moldings do all look very similar so pretty tricky to tell.
Ideally the people who fitted them would be the first port of call. Take in or email over some photos and sash sizes to them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back