Swollen Timber Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi have an internal and externak timber doors that keeps swelling especially during the rainy seasons and make it difficult to open or close.

I planed the edge where it was sticking and it was fine for a while but appears to have swelled again due to all rainy weather.

Whats the best way to resolve this.

Do I wait until its drier for it to shrink and then paint the edges cos I don't think the edges have been painted, top and bottom on exterior door. The interior door is stained so will staining the the top bottom and edges seal it enough to prevent swelling or do i need to use some other product to seal these edges?

Sponsored Links
Hi have an internal and externak timber doors that keeps swelling especially during the rainy seasons and make it difficult to open or close.

I planed the edge where it was sticking and it was fine for a while but appears to have swelled again due to all rainy weather.

Whats the best way to resolve this.

Do I wait until its drier for it to shrink and then paint the edges cos I don't think the edges have been painted, top and bottom on exterior door. The interior door is stained so will staining the the top bottom and edges seal it enough to prevent swelling or do i need to use some other product to seal these edges?

Hardwood or softwood?

A picture would be helpful

In general unsealed edges allows rainwater in causing localised swelling, but a timber door fully treated all over will still end up with a moisture content acclimatised to its environment because water vapour travels through wood finishes, albeit at a slow rate.

Sponsored Links
Do you know what the door is made of? Some close up pics of it? (I wonder if it's some type of wood fibre/chip and was supplied primed ready for paint but then not painted with a paint that would stop it absorbing vapour)

Hardwood or softwood?

A picture would be helpful

In general unsealed edges allows rainwater in causing localised swelling, but a timber door fully treated all over will still end up with a moisture content acclimatised to its environment because water vapour travels through wood finishes, albeit at a slow rate.
both the internal door that is affected and the external door are hardwood. The external door it is painted with sikken cetol filter 7 plus and the internal door is appears to be stained. Neither door has had the top or bottom edges painted.

Do you know what the door is made of? Some close up pics of it? (I wonder if it's some type of wood fibre/chip and was supplied primed ready for paint but then not painted with a paint that would stop it absorbing vapour)
Both doors are hardwoods

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back