T&G Chipboard floor (urgent please)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Appreciate the quick responses as I will be starting this job in a few hours...
I am laying 22mm/18mm sheets of the above over floor joists. I've done a fair amount of research and have a few questions.

- my joists are 400-600 centres (will easure excat distance tomorrow), should all floor boards sit on half of the joist? Some poeple are suggesting that with T&G, the join can sit in between joists i.e. without any support underneath.

- which glue should I use for the T&G lip? I can run down to a Screwfix or Tool Station easily from where I am.

- should I stagger the floor boards?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The joints should sit on a joist or noggin, some decent wood glue and screws at 200 ctrs. But actually if you wanted a better floor and to minimize the inevitable squeaks you'd go with ply.

Thank you so much for the prompt response. I have been cracking on with his and hope to complete it tomorrow.
A thought - rather than cutting the boards to fit the joist widths, should I use full lengths and stick noggings wherever they fall? I could quite easily do this from below as the plasterboard isn't on yet.

Sponsored Links
Your end joints really need to be supported on a joist if at all possible. That is the accepted way to do he job because noggins don't really give enough support

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back