T&G Chipboard Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm laying some 22mm T&G chipboard in the ground floor of my 1934 semi-detached property.

This has been prompted by the need to remove the existing floor (which was vinyl, glued to the floorboards) to deal with issues affecting various services.

I've never done this before so am having make decision as I proceed.

1. I have a kitchen at the rear transitioning to a hallway to the front door and a living room off the hallway. Is it the done thing to cut boards at thresholds and board out each room separately or should I attempt to join boards across thresholds using the T&G?
  2. If where adjacent boards meet with the T&G doesn't line up with a joist, should I insert a piece of timber to ensure these are all supported?
Many thanks all (y)

Sponsored Links
I have a kitchen at the rear transitioning to a hallway to the front door and a living room off the hallway. Is it the done thing to cut boards at thresholds and board out each room separately or should I attempt to join boards across thresholds using the T&G?
Yes, but you try to arrange your boards so that you aren't left making weird or complex cut-outs, if that makes sense

If where adjacent boards meet with the T&G doesn't line up with a joist, should I insert a piece of timber to ensure these are all supported?
It is always a good idea to support end joints where they don't "land" half on a joist

As it's your first time a couple of minor asides. If you weren't aware you need a slight gap between the chipboard and the walls (expansion gap, helps avoid the floor making creaking sounds if it rubs against the wall). You should always start with a tongue to the wall as this leaves the groove edge that you can "persuade" into position (doing this can crush the tongue if you try to "persuade" it). You shouldn't be too stingy with glue, either, and you ideally should glue the boards to the tops of the joists and at all T&G joints. The best way to get a tight joint is, believe it or not, to use a length of something like 4 x 2 softwood (about 4ft long) placed against the groove edge of a board and "helped" with a few taps from a small sledge hammer... (well, it works for me, I kid you not)

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back