Parquet on T+G chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to lay a parquet floor using reclaimed teak T+G blocks in our front room. Along with this I'm hoping to incorporate soundproofing layers into the floor.

I am thinking of laying 18mm T+G chipboard as a floating base for the parquet over 2 thin and dense soundproof layers (7mm) which are glued on to the existing wooden floorboards. The parquet is then glued onto the chipboard using a parquet adhesive.

My concern is that the 'floating' part of the T+G chipboard might be problematic. My problem is the soundproof layers must not be breached by screws as this reduces its effectiveness. Otherwise I would opt for a ply base.

Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Chipboard is a problem, the modern ones are moist resistant and the modern adhesive will have loads of problem bonding properly.

I have managed to source some 'Wisa sprucefloor' T+G WBP Plywood in 18mm thickness thanks to links on this site.

Presumably this gets over the adhesion problem. It would still need to float on the soundproof layers, would this work?

Sponsored Links
I think if you glue the T&G of the plywood you create one single 'floating' subfloor unto which you can glue (and/or pin) your parquet. Makes sure you leave expansion gaps around the plywood perimeter so if it expands it has room to move

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back