Adhesion of parquet flooring onto chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing T&G parquet flooring onto chipboard with moisture resistant layer. I am using one part Mapei Ultrabond P990 1K polyurethane adhesive.
I can see that the adhesive bond to the parquet flooring is good, but on the chipboard I can scrape the glue because it does not absorb it as if it was bare. I am worried that the floor may start coming off with time. Does the bond have to be as good as if it was structural adhesion? or does it work on a similar principle as with plasteboard where a large area can hold heavy tiling but you can pull the paper from the plasterboard with a piece of masking tape on a small area.
I am surprised because the Ultrabond data sheet says it can be used to glue wood flooring onto ceramic tiles and I do not see that the tiles could absorb the adhesive to make a structural bond.
Any feed-back will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
you should be installing plywood over the top of the chipboard. Only 4-6mm. Also the glue bond is for sideways movement, not upwards. How you testing your bond?

Non of the parquet adhesive will bond with the 'modern' moist-resistant chipboard.
Best bet is to follow Mattysupra's advice and install plywood first.

Hope you are using the correct notched trowel?

I wish people had told me that the Ultrabond was not going to bond to the moisture resistant chipboard (I did ask), then I would have used the Elastilon mat, instead of the double expense and work to use the Mapei product. The interesting thing is that this Elastilon bonds to the flooring only and not to the floor.

I spoke to Mapei technical support and they gave me two other alternatives: sand off the top coat from the chipboard (I made a test, it works) or use their primer: Epoxy primer SP. Has anybody used this primer?

I cannot add a layer of plywood flooring now as I calculated the space under the doors and other things for the flooring fixed with adhesive only

Sponsored Links
The interesting thing is that this Elastilon bonds to the flooring only and not to the floor.
There is one type of Elastilon that does both: you need that one when you have underfloor heating.

My advice for other people who have to do something similar is don't use the Mapei Ultrabond adhesive. Apart from the problem of it sticking, if you don't do the job in 1 or 2 days, you waste a lot material because every time you re-seal the package, a lot of the glue will have gone dry the following day and if you are not very skilled, you can end up with a real mess with the glue everywhere.
Better use the Elastilon mat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back