Reclaimed parquet to be laid on chipboard ?adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Am laying reclaimed solid oak parquet on a chipboard floor. The parquet has some bitumen on the back but only thin so hoping to avoid having to clean it off! What is the best adhesive to use and is it spread thickly to account for any depth differences if laying with bitumen on the back? Thanks Becky :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Does you chipboard have a moist repellent surface? If so, no modern adhesive will hold I'm afraid.
Ply over it first and then use F.Ball B91 - but don't use adhesive as filler for height difference of your blocks, never works. Remove as much bitumen as possible to have level blocks if you want the best result

Hi and thanks wood you like
I have read previous postings by you saying that you can lay parquet on chipboard with Lecol 5500 and B92 / 93. Is this possible? On the Lecol website it does state that it can be used on chipboard floor? Thanks for your help! :idea:

I'm pretty sure you read: you CANNOT glue parquet down on chipboard if the chipboard has a moist repellent surface. There is special chipboard around which is/was frequently used in The Netherlands/Belgium as subfloor for parquet but you can't find this specific product in the UK

Lecol5500 is no longer being produced by the manufacturer. Since they went "green" - but green in various shades, depending on the regulations of the country they sell the products - I'm not the greatest fan of their website ;)

Sponsored Links
@WYL

Just to get things clear. When you say "chipboard with moisture (sic) repellent surface...", do you mean green chipboard ?

If yes, is the ordinary , beige chipboard usable ?

As we know it, the green is indeed the moist repellent one. However, I've heard that because chipboard is now more and more sold with this moist repellent surface, the differentiating colour has gone from some products - so be very careful when purchasing chipboard with the intention to glue on it.

The special chipboard used in The Netherlands is very course - more brown than grey I would say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back