chipboard floating floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

A question about chipboard floating floors. I have an upstairs Victorian converted flat with a noise problem (i.e. very little soundproofing between me and downstairs - just the floorboards + plasterboard!). To resolve the situation, I am planning to:

1. Place a layer of 18mm t&g chipboard over my existing floorboards
2. Cover this with laminate underlay (7.5mm)
3. Lay clic-type laminate over the top

(I don't mind raising the floor height)

My questions

1. Is there any way of laying the chipboard as a floating floor (apart from gluing the boards which I want to avoid as the floor may have to come up to access pipes/wires etc).

2. Do I need to leave any expansion gap where the chipboard meets the walls?

Many thanks for a very interesting forum

Sponsored Links
martinelli said:
1. Is there any way of laying the chipboard as a floating floor (apart from gluing the boards which I want to avoid as the floor may have to come up to access pipes/wires etc).
I'm not a lover of chipboards but the glue in the joints is very important otherwise clicking noise etc It doesn't really make any difference of taking the flooring up with glue or no glue as it will get damaged anyway.
2. Do I need to leave any expansion gap where the chipboard meets the walls?
Best to although the chipboard doesn't expand much

You would be better off ripping the chipboards out and replace it with T&G wood flooring or better still with plywood then 10mm insulation for your laminated flooring. Will need extra noggins for the joint of the plywood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back