Tackling Badly Chipped Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the woodwork in our old house has really badly chipped and yellowed paint and I'm struggling to find the best way repair it.

With the doors I'm stripping them back completely with a hot air gun and refinishing them, this gives an excellent finish and can be done outside meaning not so many problems with lead.

The skirting and door frames etc also need attention though and I don't want to hot air strip or sand them inside. I've tried paint stripper but it's next to useless, it just leaves a mess.

Would I be better off filling the chips? Most of them are seriously deep (0.5mm or more) going though multiple layers. I've got some two part wood filler which is very much like car body filler. It gives an excellent smooth finish when sanded.

If I fill the chips what's the best preparation? sand, undercoat then fill and re-coat?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Two part is fine just use it sparingly. If i want a really smooth fill over shallow dents i find sikkens kodrin spachtel is excellent, its an oil based filler so can shrink a bit and is a little harder to rub down but its worth it. If you use it prime and key the area your going to fill first. The bonda range is also not bad and there's also car body filler. Its also worth priming filler once rubbed down, if you use normal wood primer (acrylic) just sand it flat once dry (to prevent a high spot).

The sikkens stuff is also slow drying.

You can use ordinary ready mixed that you'd use on walls and ceilings, just needs good prep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back