Taking down ceiling that includes Artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a plasterboard ceiling taken down. I'm reconfiguring the rooms so covering it up isn't an option.

Part of it is Artex, which has been covered over with plasterboard, now exposed in places where internal walls have been removed.

I expected the Artex to be positive for asbestos, as it was likely have been done in the 80s or earlier. But the asbestos test came back negative.

I didn't get an Asbestos surveyor in. I took the samples myself. I'm pretty sure I did it correctly though - I collected samples from 5 or 6 areas, amounting to more than a tablespoonful.

Now that the test has come back negative, should I be reassured there's definitely no risk - and can I get hire an ordinary builder (as opposed to an asbestos removal firm) to take the ceiling down?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back