Artex and Asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. This is my first post on here. I have read some of the useful stuff about Artex and asbestos. We have a big, droopy Artex ceiling in our main bedroom that's got to be removed. We've got two builders' quotes to do this (more coming, as part of other work, parts of which I'm doing) and they seem fine to do so and aware that Artex had asbestos in. This is going to be our 4 year old's bedroom. Is there anybody expert enough to tell me whether, if builders do it, they can truly get all the artex dust out of every nook and cranny in the house and, more importantly, from the bedroom itself. Can anybody tell me how significant the risk is from asbestos in Artex ceilings? Really good, definitive web links very appreciated. Is it worth me stipulating the technique I want them to follow?

Sponsored Links
if your worried get a test on it ,most textured coatings were safe,all buildings are tested now and i haven't seen a fail yet .

Alza, Hi.

I worked for Insurers for about 12 Years as a "surveyor" scoping up work on damaged properties, this Asbestos thing is a very hot potato just now.

In general terms, if the property was built after the early 1980s then there is a good possibility that the Artex is clear of Asbestos. However there is a possibility of Pre-80s property having Asbestos in the Artex.

Insurance Companies engage contractors to undertake the work, all contractors without any hesitation will test for the presence of Asbestos in Pre-80s houses as a matter of routine. the need for the test is not to protect the Owner rather it is to protect the Contractor from any prosecution by Health and Safety by allowing their men to be "exposed" to asbestos containing material [so called ACMs]

As for a "builder" managing to contain the dust, remove safely, dispose of correctly in double bags to a "recognized " dump that is allowed to accept this material is a different tale.

Suggest that if the house is older than the 80s get a test done, it will give you proof positive one way or another.

As for the frequency of ACMs being found? I can think of at leats three cases i dealt with in last 4 Years where ACMs have been present.

Most [but not all] asbestos in Artex is "white Asbestos" not the really nasty "Blue Asbestos that has everyone worried.

Get more info in Google "ACMs"

We got a local company round today. The inspector took five samples from different ceilings and said she didn't expect any of them to turn up ACMs. Even if they do, it's actually only one ceiling I care about: the one we're having to replace. The rest, I would leave as they all look in good nick and are not too grotesque. Hopefully the one that matters will be okay. Will know tomorrow. The company's name was Ayerst in Beckehnam, Kent.

Guy who answered the phone was a bit of a doughnut (told me all the wrong prices even after I pressed him carefully about it), but they were quick to come round and will give quick turnaround on their analysis.

I spoke to the council. They said that this kind of stuff can be removed by any competent person, but there is no definition of a competent person and if I deem myself to be, I could do it (I won't) using some of the products now on the market. I mentioned X-tex, he hadn't heard of it. They suggested ideally getting somebody experienced in taking down Asbestos-containing artex ceilings, if that's what it comes down to, and ideally somebody licenced.

One of the (so far three) builders I spoke to said they've taken out lots of these kinds of ceilings, so I might go with them. If it has got asbestos, I will deal with it carefully.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Hi there alza1999!

I work for Ayerst Environmental and am sorry you had a poor experience with us. We care about our customers' experiences with us and if you would like to provide feedback you can do so on our website:-

http://www.bulkanalysis.co.uk/contact/feedback/

Hopefully you were happy with the work done?

Addtionally the post from "external:"

if your worried get a test on it ,most textured coatings were safe,all buildings are tested now and i haven't seen a fail yet .

is absolutely incorrect. In my 7 years of experience working in the asbestos industry we have seen many positive textured coatings and not "all buildings are tested now."

Erm, this thread is 10 months old; I should think it's well & truly done by now. :rolleyes:

Nonetheless it is still viewable and does not reflect as well on Ayerst Environmental Ltd as we would like. Thank you for your input though.

Nonetheless it is still viewable and does not reflect as well on Ayerst Environmental Ltd as we would like. Thank you for your input though.
Admin gonna kick your asre if you keep on plugging your company name & posting links. :LOL:

Are you suggesting that Ayerst Environmental Ltd are just a bunch of spammers?

Surely Ayerst Environmental Ltd wouldn't do that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back