Removing ceiling board with artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have asked a plasterer to come in and reskim the bedroom ceiling in an alcove. It has a stipple effect, and I am supposing that this artex contains asbestos.

The plasterer has suggested removing a section of ceiling about 70 cm by 50 cm - but I am concerned that this may release asbestos into our bedroom (used by my wife, me and our 3 year old).

Is it fair to ask the plasterer (who has done some excellent work for me before) about this potential risk?

What sort of precautions should he be taking doing such a job?

This may sound like being over cautious - but I am in a bit of a paranoid state at the moment because I have only just become aware that artex contained asbestos - this after I pulled down a kitchen/dining room ceiling with the stuff plastered on it in 2009.

Currently the ceiling is cracked so, with all the above in mind, I am keen to get it fixed.

Sponsored Links
They "stopped" using asbestos in artex in the mid 80's if that's any help to you. If you're really concerned, do what H/DRAINAGE advises, board over then skim.

Thanks for the replies.

I have spoken with the plasterer. His opinion is that it is not an asbestos containing material - because it is a lighter material.

The only way the ceiling can be repaired is by removing it - because it has dropped from the loft.

Maybe it needs sampling first? Or can plasterers generally tell these things?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I have spoken with the plasterer. His opinion is that it is not an asbestos containing material - because it is a lighter material.

The only way the ceiling can be repaired is by removing it - because it has dropped from the loft.

Maybe it needs sampling first? Or can plasterers generally tell these things?
no he wont be able to tell just by looking at it I hold an asbestos awareness cert, there are several colours of artex the asbestos in artex is white , which is the least harmful of the colours but it is still harmful the other colours have spurs in the fibre which latch on inside once breathed in no amount of coughing will release it, heres a link to learn some more http://www.asbestos.com/asbestos/types.php

Thanks Steve.

Would you recommend that this is sampled first?

The board being removed is about 75cm by 75cm (at most).

The board has dropped slightly, so there is a crack in the artex - to be honest it has been like that since we moved in 4 years ago. It isn't deteriorating - and is a crack of about 35-40 cm. The artex is in tact, but sort of hanging.

I understand the artexing will be well bound - but disturbing this gives me the heebeejeebees.

I have an environmental health bloke coming this Monday - (can't come quick enough) - maybe if he can take a sample first, at least it puts my mind at rest.

Sorry if I am going on! I am a bit paranoid about this at the moment.

What my plasterer said (and he is a good bloke) is that he has always been told that asbestos was used until mid 1980s, and he thinks that (because of the pattern) this was done after that time.

Would you recommend that this is sampled first?
if it puts your mind at rest then get it sampled its your call my old man had asbestosis and my g friends old man has it as well I may even have it yet because I have messed around with loads of artex ceilings, its not a nice thing to have don't let anyone tell you the asbestos in artex is harmless which some say, because its not "ALL" asbestos is dangerous http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/Asbestos/asbestos/health_effects/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back