How to repair holes in ceiling from removed warm air vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, would really appreciate some advice. I need to remove the warm air vents from our upstairs ceilings and was wondering how the professionals might tackle this. We have a 70's house and all the ceilings are covered in the speckled effect artex ( I assume it is artex? ). Removing the vents (four bedrooms, landing and bathroom) will leave holes. I can board over these from inside the loft but would a professional artexer/plasterer be able to cover this and match in with the existing artex, or would we need to completely skim over the ceiling. Somebody told me the existing artex might contain asbestos? and that we might have to replace the ceilings which seems a little severe. Thanks

Sponsored Links
It would depend on your long term plans for the ceilings - any future disturbances such as redecoration for example or down lights etc?
If you contemplate any significant changes then simply patch with p/b and use skim to give an artex effect and paint to best match.
Otherwise 2 x coat Pva and bonding by a plasterer.

I'd do the same as Vinn,, patch, pva and then re-skim the whole ceiling, Use Bonding coat to flush off the artex, let it go off, , then skim with a couple of coats of multi finish. Don't attempt to scrape off/disturb any of the artex, just in case it does contain asbestos. You could also overboard the old artex, but skimming would be the best, less upheaval too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the info - I think I need to find a plasterer to come and take a look.

If I want to cut holes for lights then I guess this would be dangerous, even if the artex was skimmed over.

Thanks again

Thanks for all the info - I think I need to find a plasterer to come and take a look.

If I want to cut holes for lights then I guess this would be dangerous, even if the artex was skimmed over.

Thanks again

If that's all you're going to do,( cutting a few holes for lights), then I wouldn't worry too much about that. Providing you wear a mask, and hold a paint tray underneath to catch any dust/debris, you'll have no problems at all. The amount of asbestos in artex is said to be "very minimal", but it's still worth taking precautions anyway.

If that's all you're going to do,( cutting a few holes for lights), then I wouldn't worry too much about that. Providing you wear a mask, and hold a paint tray underneath to catch any dust/debris, you'll have no problems at all. The amount of asbestos in artex is said to be "very minimal", but it's still worth taking precautions anyway.

Indeed the HSE don't even consider artex containing asbestos as a controlled substance. Their recommendation is to wear facemasks and take it off with a wallpaper steamer. they do however for some reason class it as hazardous waste.
One thing to be aware of if skimming over is that it can fail and the whole lot come down, even when the artex appears to be well fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back