Help with Artex ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The artex ceiling in our living room, which was skimmed & artexed about 8 years ago by a so called professional, was peeling of in a few places when I got a scraper under it was just scraping away dead easy, so I decided that the only action was to remove the artex of the whole ceiling & start again.

By the end of today we will be left with a decent plaster skim that is covered in the dusty residue left from the artex.

so what I am looking for advice on is what do I seal the old skim with to prevent this from happening again, also does all this dust/residue need to be removed first, if so any suggestions, I have tried wet webrax which does the job but it will take forever to wash it all of, I am hoping that it can be left & whatever sealer we use will stabilise it.

Any advise would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
How are you redecorating it?
Ideally all dust should be removed, and as much as the residue as possible, if the residue is lumpy it will need to be smoothed down for painting.
Then the area can be primed using a dilute solution of emolusion-10% water or a plaster primer.

We are going to be artexing it again, the surface is not lumpy if is just a white smooth dusty surface, when I wipe my fingers over it they are white.

Here is a picture of part of it
-02Sep10-011.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
If you going to artex, remove dusty residue, fill in any cracks or tape joint.
Apply a dilute PVA primer follow instruction on the product you buy as some differ, to seal it. this may need two coats one the day before and one about 45 mins before applying artex, also follow application instruction of artex product being used.

Any tips on removing the dusty residue, also I thought PVA wasn't suitable for sealing prior to artexing.

stiff brush and elbow grease, should help remove dust, your ceiling needs to be sealed prior to application of artex.

Thanks for your help prenticeboy,
Brushing it is just filling the house with dust & will need brushing over & over again & again & again to remove it all,
I realise that it will need sealing but I thought that PVA and artex was a no no, I was wondering what Artex Seal was like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back