Artex Ceiling Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

First post and I would be very grateful for some advice.

I have just moved into a house, built 1997, and have artex ceilings throughout. I think (but am not sure) that the artex ceilings were done when the house was built.

I am thinking about removing the artex myself (using a steamer or X-Tex artex removal), but I am worried about what will be underneath.

How likely is it that, after removing the artex, I will be left with a nice smooth ceiling ready to paint?

If I need a plaster in, will a good tradesman be able to skim the ceilings without making a mess of the walls (which I have just painted)?

Thanks for any advice.

llyamah

Sponsored Links
use a steamer
bad news is youve vertually no chance of having a ceiling ready to paint underneath
good news is a plasterer can sort it
more good news is that the plasterer may be able to skim straight over the artex

Thanks. Can I ask you a few more questions?

I understand that I could have cracks etc appear later on if the plasterer just skims over the ceiling - is that the case? In which case, it might need overboard?

Would it be a more simple (and therefore cheaper) job for a plasterer if I removed the artex first?

Also, will a plaster be able to do it without screwing up my freshly painted walls!?

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Can I ask you a few more questions?

I understand that I could have cracks etc appear later on if the plasterer just skims over the ceiling - is that the case? In which case, it might need overboard?

Would it be a more simple (and therefore cheaper) job for a plasterer if I removed the artex first?

Also, will a plaster be able to do it without screwing up my freshly painted walls!?

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice!
i wouldent overboard a ceiling just because its got artex on it,
it all depends on the state of your artex weather you will get cracks coming through the skim or not have you got cracks in it now? if so yes they can come back , the thing to do is sure the ceiling up first, i myself have stripped the artex off my ceilings b4 reskimming because i had the time to do it it took about half day each ceiling i reboarded 1 only because it had 6 inch diameter holes in it from the sparky along with another square hole from the bath pipes and cracked artex to boot, if your artex is sound then it can be successfully skimmed, sounds to me as well you have more than one ceiling to do so thats a lot of reboarding if you was to choose that route

The existing ceiling is cracking in places. I am trying to paint over it but the cracks are reappearing and some of the existing paint is coming away from the ceiling as I paint. I think it may be cracks in the paint and not the artex.

I would have liked to do all of the ceilings in the house.

So frustrated with it to be honest, don't know what to do with it.

Thanks Andy. I might get someone in to do that but to be honest I think it will be too expensive for me.

When I initially posted this I was hoping that I would be able to get rid of the artex myself and then paint the ceiling underneath, but doesn't look like I will be able to do that.

The existing ceiling is cracking in places. I am trying to paint over it but the cracks are reappearing and some of the existing paint is coming away from the ceiling as I paint. I think it may be cracks in the paint and not the artex.

I would have liked to do all of the ceilings in the house.
take the artex off i had cracks in my artexed ceilings i took it off sured them up and reskimmed i havent had 1 crack come back do this and youve only got to pay for the skim
reboard it and you have to pay for the boards and then the labour putting the boards up and then the final skim, its a hell of a lot more money espec when you want to do the whole house

Do you think someone could reskim it without making a mess of the walls or will I have to repaint them after? Might sound like a silly question!

You need to get 3 quotes - 2 from the London Boys . And one from us Country boys - I`m sure we can compete with the best In The Smoke ;) .

You need to get 3 quotes - 2 from the London Boys . And one from us Country boys - I`m sure we can compete with the best In The Smoke ;) .
yes as long as there is parking and you dont have any congestion charges nige, i tend to stay well clear of london jobs because of things like that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back