Renovate ceilings or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will need to do something about three bedroom ceilings. They have the dreaded Artex on them. Would it be better to rip the ceilings out, put up new plasterboard, skim and then paint it? Or would it be better to attempt to remove the Artex and then decorate the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
well its your call there bud
is the artex sound id say skim over it too
save a lot of mess and money
but you need tooo be carefull of it as it mite have asbestos in it
were you based then bud

well its your call there bud
is the artex sound
id say skim over it too
save a lot of mess and money
but you need tooo be carefull of it as it mite have asbestos in it
were you based then bud

I'd do the same as Plstering says and skim it over. It's the quickest and best way to do it.

Sponsored Links
I've used it as an excuse to increase insulation value by using foam-backed plasterboard to directly cover the artex hardboard of a 1960 bungalow which was sagging and produce a nice smooth ceiling. The foam backing can be pushed in to get a level against the spikes of the artex so you can't even need to skim or knock it off level.

im with plstrng on this skim over if its deep you can bond it flat first, artex only had trace asbestos in it and its not the harmfull type so by all means open a window and wear a mask if you scrape it back but dnt sh*t a brick bout dieing frm it.

Okay, thanks for the replies. I won't be doing the work myself - i'll be getting a builder in to do the work.

So it looks like a skim is the best way forward? How long would three small bedroom ceilings take if a professional plasterer did the skimming, assuming the ceilings are a bit mucky so may need some prep for the skim to bond. Each of the three ceilings is approx 10' x 10'.

Depends if the spread will be flat out on them, he may get to site early as hell and smash the three lids in one day or he may prefere to do one a day.

i would say if he got there by half 7 could have them all prepped by 9 and get them all on in a day but thats just me, id do 2 in the morning and prep the 3rd between coats and have and easy afternoon and skim the 3rd.
but as has already been mentiond depends how much work he has to do to them, what artex pattern are they?

I'm trying to recall from memory when I had two viewings of the property. I haven't moved into the property yet! I think they were swirls.

All I know is that the ceilings looked horrible! I want nice, smooth ceilings.

yer easy get the 3 done in a day i work with a spread soo theres two of us
soo that will shave some time off the job
im interested if you want i can give you a price

For the OP - I'd go with the skim (& possible tight Bonding coat) over the artex too and follow the trend!

I've used it as an excuse to increase insulation value by using foam-backed plasterboard to directly cover the artex hardboard of a 1960 bungalow which was sagging and produce a nice smooth ceiling.

I guess also in digdilem's case here the ceiling wasn't flat, so the boarding will have helped smoothe it out as well as improving insulation. I'm assuming boards screwed up into the joists will help secure it.
Not sure if the OP's 3 ceilings in question are new build and therefore quite flat already etc - worth checking out tho for final decision next time you're there.

10+10 what m or ft looking at the map your not that far from us and id be more then happy too skim then lids for you check you profile my number shood be there for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back