Is it possible to patch a hole in an artexed ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are just considering replacing warm air heating and are wondering how best to patch up the holes that will be left in the upstairs ceilings when the vents are removed. Is it possible to patch in some new plasterboard and artex this to match the rest of the ceiling (usual ceiling bobble effect). We mentioned this to somebody who does artexing and he suggested that we could patch it but we would need to re-artex the whole ceiling in each room - does this sound correct. If this is the case then would we also need to replace all the coving as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You can patch it, but you will always notice the repair.
Your Artexer suggested doing the whole ceiling, In my opinion Artex is outdated. instead of Re-Artexing, seal the ceiling and plaster over.

You can patch it, but you will always notice the repair.
Your Artexer suggested doing the whole ceiling, In my opinion Artex is outdated. instead of Re-Artexing, seal the ceiling and plaster over.

Ditto. If you like artex, then get it patched and artexed again, but id just get it skimmed, And the coving can stay, wont be much difference in price getting it skimmed or artexed.

Sponsored Links
Knock off the high spots, particularly if the brush line around the cove has lea.t a heavy ridge. This wil help you keep as much definition of the coving member as possible.

Also worth checking if there are any cracks that may be paper tape that needs taking off.

Seal with WBA or Bondit , next day a coat of bonding and skim.

Bear in mnd precautions with artex if it is old, pre 80s , but regardless I'd wear a mask, glasses and hoover it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back