Taking mixer tap apart to replace cartridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The following two images show a mixer tap that I'm trying to take apart so that I may replace the stiff ceramic cartridge. I've popped off the red / blue plastic cover and that has revealed a 2mm hex grub screw inside but unscrewing that seems to have had no effect. The threaded bar doesn't seem to be double ended, i.e. I can't get it to turn when carefully gripping it. Can anyone suggest what I need to do next to get access to the cartridge?

Thanks!

IMG_5003.jpg
IMG_5002.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's probably encrusted with limescale ,try heating the handle up . If you don't have anything to heat it with ,pour boiling hot water over it , carefully.
If you can get something under the base of the handle to use for leverage it may help ,after pouring water over .

Sponsored Links
It's probably encrusted with limescale ,try heating the handle up . If you don't have anything to heat it with ,pour boiling hot water over it , carefully.
If you can get something under the base of the handle to use for leverage it may help ,after pouring water over .

Thanks, I eventually managed to get it off but in doing so (using a screwdriver for leverage), made a right mess of the flimsy dome shaped cover that screws on the thread of the nut that keeps the cartridge cover (see photos). I couldn't work out why the handle was so hard to remove, it wasn't at all affected by limescale...

IMG_5083.jpg IMG_5084.jpg IMG_5085.jpg

Does anyone have any idea whether I can get a replacement cover? For what it's worth, the outside of the thread measures ~41.7mm

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back