taking up grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im currently getting my garden ready for artificial grass, every website says i have to take up old grass first,may seem a stupid question but why do i have to take it up? Once ive puttype 1,sharp sand,weed membrane and the artificial grass what can happen?

Sponsored Links
I don't know if it's the official reason but decomposing grass will turn into the smelliest, slimiest mess under your new artificial turf.

it will rot and therefore sink making your new expensive lawn all over the place.

You must al the very least strip the turf off. I can;t understand why people would pay the sort of money needed for artificial grass and then skimp on the relatively cheap prep work.

Sponsored Links
. I can;t understand why people would pay the sort of money needed for artificial grass and then skimp on the relatively cheap prep work.

Personally I can't understand why people would pay to replace real grass with artifical anyway :confused:

Im having artificial grass because i have a dog and 2 children,i dont have the time or the know how to keep on top of grass, im sick of mud being walked through the house the dog brings in, artificial grass looks good all year round, i dont have to cut it and water it the more i think of it i cant see why anyone would want real grass.
Im going on top of grass because i need to bring the ground up to a certain level,didnt want to take grass up to than be even lower than i need ti be.

A turf cutter will only take 40mm off and its worth doing if you want your new lawn to remain flat

Having children and a dog is a great reason to have real grass, it's nice to play on and the dog will have something nice to lay on and even do its business on.

Nah ive had real grass doesnt feel as nice as fake grass, my real grass was part grass part rock hard mud.where the dog had run riot on it,wont get that with fake grass,i puy it down bank holiday weekend and kids havnt stopped running around wiv nothing on there feet where it constantly feels nice and soft.

The grass i went over was a tiny bit here and there do u think that wilk cause me problemslater on than?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back