Tank floating valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

so had the floating valve replaced in my loft tank, the plastic spout thing that the water shoots into the tank out of is screwed into the assembly but it’s spins freely when the pressure of the water shoots through it

I’ve tried to tighten it but when it reaches its tight position it’s pressing against the wall of the tank

I’ve checked the one in the radiator header tank and the spout is firmly in place

should I be concerned ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, as it might come off and water will hit the tank lid and could overflow the outside of the tank, causing water damage to the ceiling below.

Andy

When it spins it can’t fully rotate as it hits the wall of the tank

Undo the plastic nuts either side of the tank and move the fitting in, this should allow more room to rotate the plastic spout.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I’m able to rotate it fully if I apply a bit of force but when it’s tight it’s pressed against the tank, I’ve removed it and put it back on thinking that it will end up in a different location when it’s tight but at its tightest point it’s always pressed against the tank

Ok, as long as it is tight and in the correct position. It doesn't have to over tightened.

Andy

Ok so the plastic tap spins freely in both directions as shown in photo, if u turn the tap to tighten it it tightens but the tap is then pressed against the wall of the tank

Attachments

• E04AAD9D-967A-418B-8483-DBB97C144A9B.jpeg
    E04AAD9D-967A-418B-8483-DBB97C144A9B.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 184
That part of the fitting shouldn't tighten, it should be able to rotate freely inside the fitting, it's just the flow diverter. They're usually just push clipped into the valve.

Ok so my mate had a spare plastic spout, looks exactly the same so screwed that one on and it was a much firmer fit, felt firmer when screwing it on so it’s now firmly in position

Update

Now there’s a slow drip from from the spout, it was fine for a while now recently this has started.

should I be concerned? Is it because the tank is massive and takes ages to fill?

Also can someone tell me what uses the cold water tank, I’m guessing the hot water taps and Emerson heater tank? Anything else that could be pulling from the tank without me knowing causing the water level to slowly lower?

cheers

If you pull the float arm up does it stop dripping? You may have a cold tap and toilet in an upstairs bathroom that is fed from the cistern as well as the hot water cylinder.

Yes and when I manually push the ballcock down and let water in it doesn’t drip, seems when we are using taps and the water level drops it’s struggling to get back to level.

I guess the dripping will be constant as when the valve gets close to closed the water level will lower again with normal use of taps and what not.

Sod it, can only hear the dripping if I stand and listen for it.

I’m able to rotate it fully if I apply a bit of force but when it’s tight it’s pressed against the tank, I’ve removed it and put it back on thinking that it will end up in a different location when it’s tight but at its tightest point it’s always pressed against the tank
Replace it.Accident waiting to happen.

Yes and when I manually push the ballcock down and let water in it doesn’t drip, seems when we are using taps and the water level drops it’s struggling to get back to level.

I guess the dripping will be constant as when the valve gets close to closed the water level will lower again with normal use of taps and what not.

Sod it, can only hear the dripping if I stand and listen for it.
Replace it before you are standing looking at your ceiling down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back