Tanking help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am looking for a bit of help with a tanking project. I have a small storage area under the front steps (apx 6ft x 3ft), which is mostly below ground level (I expect it’s the old coal storage area since the house is a Victorian terrace). We have had some problems with water ingress and a strong smell of damp in the place – although the water ingress has reduced massively since we had the steps asphalted on the outside.

What I have done so far: hacked off old render, plugged holes with waterproof cement, raked out mortar and re-pointed, installed a passifyer vent to the outside, tanked the floor and walls with Cementone tanking slurry. Once the slurry has dried out fully I plan to render the walls, put some self level on the floor and decorate. I have had conflicting advice on what materials to use: Bostik tech support say that I should only use a moisture-tolerant self level / floor covering, and that I can only use renovating plaster on the walls with basic emulsion paint. Another trusted source has said that Bostik’s tech support is risk-averse to say the least, and that I can use whatever I like because it doesn’t matter if the materials are vapour-permeable or not.

I am intrigued! As I understand it, tanking slurry is designed to block water but to let the vapour pass. But since we are not talking about major water ingress, will I have a problem if I use non-permeable materials? Ideally I would go the whole hog and paint a liquid DPM on the floor / use epoxy paint on the walls. Good idea or silly idea?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back