tap tap tap.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating upstairs is starting to drive me nuts.
Previously i had an old oil fired boiler in the utility and the flue ran up the back of the house. The noise from it was horrendous so it being on its last legs i ripped it out and set up a new warmflow cabin pack outside with its own built in flue.

I connected a smart pump so as to have the system as efficeint as possible.

Now two of the upstairs rads when the heat is turned on cause a noisey tapping noise which lasts for about 10 - fifteen minutes until the whole system is warmed.

Its a real pain as when your trying to sleep it just sounds so loud.

If i can help it i don't want to go down the road of lifting carpet in order to lift floors to see how tightly the pipes are secured.

Is there any other cause or solution for this tapping.

All the rads are well bled. And the inlet and outlet valves are fully opened.

I have also turned the smart pump down to its lowest setting in the offchance that the hot water was being pumped too quickly and causing the pipes to expand too quickly.

Please help as this is drivin me nuts.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunatly it is probably pipes that run tight in wood somewhere. Usually joists, but check to see if any of the legs from the rad valves through the floor are tight.

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back