Taping and filling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i was wondering after i sheet a small room (walls and ceiling) what the procedure is for taping the joints before rubbing down for painting?. Is it 2 coats of fastset waiting about an hour from the first coat to the 2nd then waiting a day or so before applying a final velvet coat then rubbing down?. Do you apply corner tape between the ceiling boards and wall boards and if so is there anything different you need to do for this?, thanks in advance. :D

Sponsored Links
Papalaz,
You more or less have the idea for taping the joints in plasterboard. I normally start on the ceiling, and then the walls + any window/door reveals. You have a choice of either paper joint tape or self adhesive fibre joint tape. CORNER TAPE is for all EXTERNAL corners,(Window/door reveals etc), so you would NOT use this where the wall boards meet the ceiling boards, just use ordinary joint tape, paper or fibre. Just fit half the tape on the ceiling and half on the wall. I normally bed on tapes with gyproc joint filler or Fastset........"Using Paper Tape": Just put some filler/Fastset along the joint and bed the tape into it,making sure you remove all air bubbles from under the tape, and remove all excess filler as you go. Keep it clean....."Using Self adhesive mesh tape": This will stick to the joint itself,( usually). Put a coat of filler over the joints as usual to cover the tapes. Let it set. Go over all the joints in the room this way, fit any external corner tapes/beads, and fill over screw/nailheads. Some people like to go over the bevels in the joints with 2 coats of Fast-set, but I prefer to bring it out with at least 2 coats of ready-mix finish, letting each "feathered out" coat dry completely before putting on another, to get the suction. Go over all the joints/screwheads etc again this way.Once the walls and ceiling are dried out and sanded down, the room is ready for decoration.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back