Tapping Noise From Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
Has anyone got the answer?
I have a Baxi Bermuda 552 back boiler with living flame fire.
In the last few days a tapping sound is coming from the boiler area behind the fire. The boiler ignites and about the middle of the flame igniting to going out, there is a tinny, tapping noise, rather like metal expanding when being warmed up. This happens with water only & water + central heating. The boiler is serviced every year through British Gas & was O.K. before last service ( May 2009 ). Since then it doesn't seem to ignite the same as it did, before, it ignited with a gradual ignition, now it ignites with all @ once. It also has a yellowish flame, although the flames @ the holes are blue. Never had a thing go wrong with it in all this time, until we heard those chilling words from British gas - "We may not be able to get spare part for your boiler & you need to think about a new one"
Seadog.

Since I posted this, I got British Gas out ( Homecare ).
There were yellow flames which caused a soot build-up, resulting in the noise from metal due to pressure.
I mentioned the yearly service was done in May 2009 by British Gas & ever since then there was something not quite the same. Well!, guess what, the pressure had been set to high ( Clever British Gas )
Seadog.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back