Technical advice appreciated on correct mix for re-mortaring brick paving

Reaction score
Country
Australia
compressed_50212265120190425_164448.jpg
An extended large section of outdoor brick paving laid on concrete base poorly done many years ago and mortar joints breaking down ( See image). Clearly most of the joints were never mortared to the full depth and the mortar mix used clearly nothing like the quality of the original area.

I have secured an Arbortech mortar and brick saw to clean out the mortar and a quick test shows it is the perfect tool to avoid damaging the brick, however I need to ensure the new mortar mix I use does the job properly this time, particularly as an even harder task this time to get a full depth mortared joint, particularly as bricks are laid on their side.
I have been reading different articles on mortar mixes and now bogged-down and confused whether I should be just using a lime/sand mix or cement/sand or lime/cement/sand mix.

Advice would be really appreciated from any readers/contributors who have a solid knowledge in this area.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back