Telephone cable for data

That might be possible, just a little concerned that it could get snagged and I could lose the one cable I have !

Sponsored Links
Yep, that's the risk you take! You'll get a good feel for it if it's possible though(usually).

Plenty of customers use these without any issues:-

http://www.lanshack.com/VoiceData-Splitter-Pair-P1564C56.aspx

PoE causes no problems which can be up to 48v DC.

Of course if running new cables then you may as well run 2-4 runs to future proof.

I take your point about the PoE, but remember that this is implemented in a designed for and standardised manner where as telephony down cat5 / 6 is not. General rule of thumb is 1 cable, 1 service.

Anyway, we seem to agree that two cables is better so i'll leave it at that.

In my opinion and my experience, I wouldn't use Ethernet over power adaptors. I've had no end of problems with them, especially where uninterrupted data streams are needed.

With the growing amount of online streaming content being pushed at us by the TV channels themselves and the growing use of voice over IP for reduced call costs, teleworking etc, powerline adaptors, even the 200mb/s ones suffer dropouts too frequently.

I'd definitely go back to the planning stage and install at least 2 runs of Cat5e/Cat6 to each room you want data in. You can use adaptors to convert RJ45 down to BT431A socket and then use a patching system in your wiring closet to allocate services to ports.

I completely Cat6 cabled my place but I use voice over IP exclusively so I just have 100mbps switches in the rooms where more than 2 ports are needed.

As for 1 service, 1 cable, I agree, however, there are a growing number of faceplates on the market that accept one 4-pair cable, however, these seem to go through some electronics which maybe reduces the near-end cross-talk issues to at least allow 10mbps.

I wouldn't use these at all.

My specification would be a central patch panel for your data sockets and distribute regular telephony through the same system on ports needed.

I've mostly done this in homes with small PBX systems to allow multiple lines but i'm sure you could build a bus-bar style patch panel with one in for the main phoneline passing the signal along to patch points as needed.

Don't forget about primary and secondary socket considerations when doing telephony, there are RJ45 to BT431A adaptors available for master and slave configurations. If you're building a patch network I would come from the primary master and 3-wire into your bus-bar panel and use the appropriate secondary convertor to plug into in the rooms.

Sponsored Links
You'll probably want to use Master style RJ45>BT Jacks. Some kit (older sky boxes) can be a bit funny about being on secondary style adaptor jacks.. As for wiring, as computer geek says.. Wire back to your Wiring Closet (Node 0/Room under the stairs :D ) to a patch panel.. Simplest way would be to say stick a 24port patch panel in and dedicate the last 4 ports to BT, then you'll never have odd issues with REN either..

HTH

Rob

If you must run ethernet down low grade cable make sure you force the speed of the connection. If you don't it will try to run at 100 megabit resulting in huge packet drop.

Also if you only force the speed on one end of the connection and not the other (unfortunately it is not usually possible to force the speed on consumer grade switches) make sure you select half duplex. Otherwise you will most likely end up with a duplex mismatch.

10baseT was designed for cat3 which is basically american phone cable, so it wouldn't surprise me if it worked fine on british phone cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back