Temperature safe for lead paint removal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some paint I'd like to remove from some skirting boards. The paint is very thick, perhaps 10-15 layers by the look of it. Our flat is Victorian, so I guess it can be assumed that some of the underlayers will contain lead paint.

I've got a heat gun with variable heat settings, 350/550 degrees. I've seen some similar heatguns advertised as 'safe for use with lead paint', claiming that lead does not vapourise at the lower temperature.

Can anyone confirm that this is true? I've had a quick go, and the paint blisters after 30 seconds at the lower heat setting, but it gives off an ungodly smell.

Assuming that this 'safe for lead paint' malarky is nothing but lies and deceits, would it be acceptable to go ahead with the paint stripping with the use of a respirator? I regularily use organic vapour masks at my work for use with solvents, and I could easily nick one for the weekend.

Cheers

-kate

Sponsored Links
Nick!!!.....Nick!!?....tututututututut!

Right then, Kate unbless your burning off outside or you can have heaps of ventilation or an air fed amsk then burning off when you suspect lead paint isnt a good idea....

If you use the lower tempreture you will have to hold the gun on it longer..until it melts...thus causing fumes, the same fumes as if you used a hgher setting setting and it melted quickly.

Hvae you considered ripping the skirting off and replacing it with somthing similar?.....its a lot less hastle, cheaper, and quicker.

Or use a decent paint stripper...it will take longer, be messiers and more costly...but you'l save your lungs from the possible lead.

Id go for the replacememt option meself..

And stop nicking!! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back