terminal blocks inside backplate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

need some advice here on what is legal/sensible. I went to install a new socket in my kitchen for a new dishwasher and cut the plasterboard and fitted a metal backplate in a position where the mains ring cables were already running and cut the cable to fit into my new socket. Problem is:

1. not enough slack in cables to connect my socket.
2. I fitted it too low (only about 10cm from floor- oops!) I also now don't like the idea of a low socket on a wall behid a dishwasher and think up near the underneath of the worktop is much more sensible..

So now I have a cut mains ring cable sitting inside a metal backplate.

Option 1- Can I use 30A terminal blocks/choc blocks to connect the ring cable together again inside the backplate and fit a blank plate over the front? I'd then run new cable from this up to my new socket to give me the slack I need to fit the new socket.

Option 2- fit a proper junction box under the floorboards and then run a new section of cable up the wall. I prefer this one and feel it would actually be safer but might not be legal as the junction box wouldn't be accessible? or what is deemed as accessible?

Option 3 - fit a junction box on the wall instead of the backplate, but it would just be screwed into the wall and not covered. Doesn't seem sensible?

Option 4 - rewire that whole bit of the ring from one socket to the next, a bit much work me thinks...

Hope that made sense. Any opinion welcome (other than I'm a numpty, I already know that....!)

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
option 4..

just re-run those legs.. if it's a kitchen with plasterboard walls it shouldn't be hard..

also.. and I can't believe that I'm the first to point it out....

work in a kitchen is notifiable under part P of the building regulations..

EDIT: bah, didn't see you're in Scotland.. :evil:

Sponsored Links
cheers guys. Have sorted using option 1.

would have liked to re-run cables, but next socket was on other side of the room, wire running under floor etc, not a quick job.

and yes, I'm in Scotland. Does that me free to do what I like?? Does anyone know the law up here? I can't seem to find anything...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back