Test Cylinder thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Hot Water has gone, on a system that has been fine for 3 years.

I have no hot water but good radiator temperatures and the timer controls the heating fine. So, as I understand it, there must be a fault in either the cylinder thermostat, or a motorised valve on the system.

I want to test the cylinder thermostat as that seems the easy thing to replace as a DIY job.

Can I just bypass the thermostat to see if the water heats up??

I am thinking of disconnecting the 2 cables that feed the therm, and connecting them to a 240v switch - if the water heats up when the switch is on, then its a faulty therm, if it doesn't it must be the valve.

Is that OK

Anyone see any problems with this??

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Im not a plumber, but if you can get access to the t/stat, just move it away from the tank, as I would expect to switch off(open circuit) when water is hot, so by removing it from tank it should close & the demand for hot water will be sent to m/valve & boiler.
Must be easier than playing with the wiring.

What motorised valve(s) are in the system?.
It must be easy to verify if the cylinder stat is receiving 240v.when HW is on
Likewise it must be easy to verify a path of continuity across the terminals of the stat. If you have 3 port valve, then cylinder stat has 1 input terminal (common) and 2 output terminals 'not satisfied' to feed boiler and 'satisfied' to divert the power to the 'grey' wire of 3 port valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back