Testing A Strobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all New To The Forum , I have Installed A Few Optima Panels for freinds and family so i,m not quite a total Novice , I have just put a optima 8 in and wired it up but i can,t get the strobe to run, I have wired it from Strobe - to Strobe - and left the Strobe + not connected as usual, I,m not even getting the charge sound from the Box , Does this sound like a fault with the box and can i test the strobe to be sure , Many Thanks For Your Help The Bell Box is a
VENTCROFT Type

Steve

Sponsored Links
connect 12v directly to the strobe, at the box if you have to, also does everything else work?

Thanks Breezer For Your Quick Reply , Yes everything else works , Both Green And red lights , Do I just put a 12v + & - To The Strobe + & - In The Bell Box ??

Thank you Again

Steve

i am not familar with the bell box you mention, some ot all have a separate pair for a strobe.

try this then.

stick your meter (good technical term that) across the out put for the strobe and + or - which ever the strobe output isn't

so if its -ve for stobe put the other lead on a + then tell the panel to test the stobe.

if you get 12v its either a wiring error or naff strobe. then you will have to go to the bell box and try it, you may have used blue at one end and green at the other, seen that done before

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer i,ll try that , I,m sure my colours are right though , I,ll Post My Findings , Just to confirm One thing , The Strobe Uses the minus - So i Connect the Other Side To The 12 Volt Supply To The Sensors Is That Right

thanks Again

steve

assuming you mean +ve that supplies detectors yes. or the +ve for the battery

O.K Ive tested the strobe direct to the board in the bell box and it works , Ive tested the output from the panel and yes that works , Getting 12 volts when the strobe is activated , Ive tested the wire from the Strobe - in the Panel To the Strobe - In the Bell box and that is o.k . I have also tried a wire from the trg - in the bell box to the strobe - and activated the siren and got nothing from the strobe , It makes me think i,m not getting the supply voltage to the strobe ??? Any help Appreciated

Thanks Again

Steve

since we now know the strobe works and we know the output works, you say he cable is ok, it must be the way you have connected it.

try this.

assuming the b box is back where it should be, connect the strobe trigger wire directly to -ve (since you earlier said it needs a -ve to work) do this in the panel if the strobe works there is an output problem

if it doesn't its your wiring / connection

O.K Breezer I have run the strobe - Direct to the battery - Now And still Nothing , I have tried it with the strobe in test mode and without , I have replaced the 6 core cable from panel to bell box and have tested it fully for continuity All o.k . I will list the connections below but i,m sure if they were wrong i would not be able to run the system :-

Panel Bell Box

B Bell - TRG -
T SCB RTN -
A SCB Hold Off -
D Bell + Hold Off +
Strobe - Strobe -

The Six Wire I do Not Use

There Is No Connection To Strobe +

Thanks Again ( This Is Really Doing My Head In lol)

go to the bell box, defeat the tamper and coonect a -ve to the strobe terminal.

that way it by passes the panel to make the strobe work (just for test purposes you understand.

You've probably stuffed it up by now. I'd take it down and sort it on the bench if I were you.

well if that did work, it never will (or you have missed a link) do as joe suggests bring it down and stick it on a bench to test it

Just to let you know guys I Took the box down and exchanged it after a bit of a battle , Refitted the new one and it works perfect , Same wires , Same Wiring , Thanks To all for your help !!!

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back