Testing question on new cct.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just wired a new circuit consisting of 1 double gang socket on a radial circuit using FP200 cable. The Consumer unit i have wired into is split the side i am putting my C20 mcb in has a RCCB as its main breaker so the question is how can i do a Earth loop at the socket? the RCCB will trip?

Sponsored Links
not if you have the right sort of meter..

alternatively, you work it out from the R1+R2 reading..

or the cheats way of doing it is to temporarily link out the RCD...

Answer is either:

calculate it
use a tester with soft test function
use a tester with RCD locking function

The way you never write on the 2391 answer paper is to swap it to the non-RCD site....

Sponsored Links
What are you plugging into the socket?

Is there a reason for using C type breaker?

here is how i will procede at the test then.

1. R1 R2 (putting a link in at the socket between the earth and live conductor and taking a reading at the board between earth and live (obviously mains off)

2. insulation resistance, 250v then 500v between earth and live, live and neutral and neutral and live looking for more than 200M/O (DO THIS AT THE BOARD.

3. PSC and Earth Loop at the incomer of the CU (but not PSC at the socket just the Earth loop, this obviously being a problem because the split load board with rcd protection which will go out (limatation)?

4. Polarity

5. ANY MORE?

More usual to put P/E link at CU and test at socket
Think you'll find the live/neutral IR test will give the same result as the neutral/live IR test !
Still no answer about why using C type breaker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back