textured vinyl wallpaper-paste problems-edges not sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This heavy paper was hung with solvite packet paste. The paper seemed to soak up alot of the paste after 15 mins soaking and was hung. In parts, the edges (2-3mm)seemed to curl up when on wall (I know they were pasted carefully!!). I think I had the paste mix slightly too weak and would probably use ready mixed paste next time. Q1-Does what I am thinking make sense or are there other possible issues? Ready mix paste just seems too thick to do the soaking process correctly-hence paper expansion issues. Q2-Does the 15 mins still apply to this type of paste? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If its a BLOWN VINYL I normally have the paste thick about 8 pints per sachet of solvite. !0 mins soak is usually best though if label says longer of course follow the label. I apply paste quite heavy with a roller, fold carefully (box) so edges dont dry, and get about 4 rolls per sachet. I find the paper almost hangs itself like this. Dont push too hard, the paste when drying will pull the paper back into wall. Pushing too hard will also squeese the paste out from edges which will give edge curl. Just brush gently to smooth out bubbles, The other thing is the wall itself, presume it's been prepared, sized. Some heavy textured vinyls are better suited to ready mixed, sometimes label will say ready mix rec.

If its a Solid textured Vinyl like DOSHI, a ready mixed paste is NEEDED this gives a low water content (would take ages to dry with powder paste)
Still needs soaking about 10 min.
phew weres me stella

good luck

Its said that ready mixed paste doent need a soaking..it does.

Its a high solid ow water content paste as opposed to packet paste which is the opposite.

I reckon the problem is more down to the wall itslf..is it vinyl silk by any chance?

I put a textured vinyl up (Tiffany) in a kitchen about a month ago, using ready mixed adhesive, it was the heaviest paper I've ever used. It was so heavy, I initially thought they were double rolls :eek: Could not get the swine to stick on the edges - finished up soaking it for more than an hour and sponging the front to get it more pliable. No way on earth would 10 minutes or 30 mins do.
It took me 7 hours to hang 3 rolls.
Never again.

You have my sympathies :(

Sponsored Links
In answer to some Qs- the walls were sized - on matt emulsion. The paper did go pliable-probably cos it soaked up all the watery paste. Think i will try ready mixed. Thanks for all help.

oh-andit was solid tex vinyl. Growler, youve got me really worried-i have 10 rolls to hang (24 hrs at your rate!! :LOL: )

yep..go for the ready mixed stuff...wickes do a good one and its pretty cheap too..

Dont bother with mangers...you may as well use a bucket of snot..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back