That's some clever marketing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone seen the adverts for "Magicool" on TV? I saw them tonight for the first time. From what I can gather it is a "magic" spray that cools you down... can anyone think of another way to market 250ml of alcohol solution in an atomiser bottle for lots of money?

Or possibly any other cheaply available liquids? :D

Next they'll be putting water in plastic bottles and selling it at £4 a litre in London train stations ;)

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
Next they'll be putting water in plastic bottles and selling it at £4 a litre in London train stations ;)

1/2 a litre, not a whole litre for £4

AdamW said:
Anyone seen the adverts for "Magicool" on TV? I saw them tonight for the first time. From what I can gather it is a "magic" spray that cools you down... can anyone think of another way to market 250ml of alcohol solution in an atomiser bottle for lots of money?

Or possibly any other cheaply available liquids? :D

the best solution to cool you down is sweat and in sweat the chemical make up is very close to methylated spirits so go down to the diy and buy a bottle and put it in a spray gun and enjoy. p.s DO NOT SMOKE.

The trouble is there are gullible people out there who will shell out the money to buy these products. Just keep a spay bottle of water in the fridge and use that, much the same effect or just sweat, that natures way of cooling!

Sponsored Links
And a very clever system it is too. What better than rapid evaporation to quickly cool the skin?

My favourite is the indoor UHF aerial that then has a plastic reflector clipped to the back of it to look like some '50s idea of a satellite earth station, that you get in the free catalogue things in your paper. Among the gems in the accompanying blurb are...

No need to pay satellite TV subscriptions
Not technical razzle-dazzle, just a marketing breakthrough :?: :?:

having said that, I did buy one of the black metal cats with marbles for eyes, to stop other cats s*itting on my gravel path. Didn't work though....

Here's a few more useless products that some people are obviously stupid enough to buy:

1) Air freshener with no smell.

2) Battery powered air fresheners that give a little puff to prove they're working. Smells for people who can't smell them?

3) EMC kits for mobile phones. "Block stray RF emissions from your phone."

4) Sugar lollies in plastic flip-open containers. You can put your lolly away for later - three years later by which time it's inedible!

5) Birthday cards for pets.

6) A felt tip pen for audio CDs. You run it round the outer edge and inside the hole and it "boosts the sound by reflecting stray laser light back into the disk". Beat that one!!!!!

I remember on 'Tonight with trevor MacDonald' or 'Watchdog' or something else designed to scare the gullible, a programme about how mobile phone masts are no good for you and can give your wife a migraine.

The man on it was walking round his house using what appeared to be some sort of Geiger Counter, but for RF and Microwaves, to prove his point. Wonder how much someone stung him for that.......

On the CD felt-tip markers though, I've heard a few people say that they really work. Beats me why though......

I think I read about some tube train that has a carriages that spray ice cold mists (or did I just dream it ,lol ),no Im sure i read it some place ,maybe the Far East?,

I hear if your that way inclined ,the last carriage on one of the London tube routes , men meet an spray something about "Shudder", I think it was on Popbitch.com that last bit , lol

other inventions like above ,seamonkeys ,an xray specs at the back of old comics ...

Ah - Now that's an interesting one. Did anyone ever buy the X-Ray Spex ? What did you get the impression of seeing (assuming that you didn't, as per the picture, get to actually see through your teacher's skirt) ??

DID ANYONE BUY THE X RAY SPECS

A lad in my class did ,Harvey Pogrand,

(he was the bastard child of an old Leeds United Player ,the father would throw money at him an his mother as hush money .. as exposes in those days killed a players career , lol)

Anyway he brought them into school an they were cardboard frames an the lenses were one green an the other red (3d type things )well he made out he could see threw walls an doors , an threw lasses skirts ,
but it was like the "Emperors New Clothes",he charged 15p a min look ..

most upper lads all went "yeah great stuff",after a look ...lol
not wanting to let it be known a younger year lad had done them ...

we ambushed poggie at dinner break ,me an Ricki Fenton an put on the wonder classes , Nothing just coloured vision , I think that was my 1st realisation that you can't trust everyone ,an life is pretty nasty ...

We gave Pogrand 10 dead arms an dead legs each , for winding us up ..

We then went back to the school library where a fifth year fit lass would work ,the library block was packed whenever she was there ,lol

she would wear a tight white cotton blouse an wear no bra!!!WOOOWWW

her nipps were wonderful for our "teenage kicks"all night long (thanks to the Undertones )

Scoby_Beasley said:
Mandy Smith did it for me Mr. Jingles, for the same reasons !!
those of a different generation would say Madeline Smith ;)

kendor said:
Scoby_Beasley said:
Mandy Smith did it for me Mr. Jingles, for the same reasons !!
those of a different generation would say Madeline Smith ;)
Aaah madeline, yes, nice. the Mandy Smith I mean, however, was a girl I went to school with, so it was a "hands on" experience (but a bloody long time ago !! )

Sponsored Links
Back