The best coil spring compressor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many years ago, I used a spring compressor with just on hook at each end to compress a Hillman Minx front spring and I seem to remember that it was a bit precarious. Would the Hilka spring compressor with twin hooks at each end be better for the rear strut spring on my Corolla? See:-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-coil-spring-compressor-kit-2-piece-set/45986?kpid=45986&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&kpid=45986&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping - Car and Van-_-Shopping - Car and Van&gclid=CLyizMjx5MYCFSUOwwodffoJRQ

I see that in the reviews of the Hilka that the thread wears a bit, any suggestions for longer lasting spring compressors?

Edit:

The "Clarke CHT224 3piece Coil Spring Compressor":-

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht224-3piece-coil-spring-compressor

And the "Laser 0290 Coil Spring Compressor - Heavy Duty 3 Piece Set"

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/laser-0290-coil-spring-compressor-heavy-duty

Both look good, any comments will be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All compressors are a bit precarious and use with extreme care......I've found the machine mart ones tend to slip down the coil so I'd go for the Hilka set.
Thread wear is minimal, just keep them lubed!
John :)

Not my favourite tool. Never had one slip once the spring was compressed, but always waiting for it to happen. I'd agree with John, the Hilka looks the best bet to me.

If you are compressing a McPherson type strut and spring, hook the compressor jaws under the strut spring holding plate.....gives it that extra security.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Yes, they are "McPherson type strut" and I think that I will cut some strips of steel so that I can place them between the strut and the jaws of the Hilka tool to prevent damage to the new struts.

+1 for the Hilka (although the angle at which those twin hooks are places is always a compromise, because the spring wire will be at a different angle on each car and the angle will change anyway as you compress the spring. In reality, only one hook on each end will be doing most of the work most of the time. Wear shouldn't be a problem unless you're using it a lot. I think I've only used mine about a dozen times in 20 years!

I used the exact same Hilka ones from Screwfix on my corolla rear springs.
Very sturdy, and in my opinion no way would they be able to slip off.
Just remember, you don't actually need to compress the springs that much - just enough so that you can feel it is loose from the mounts. I've seen some "diy guides" on the net where people have compressed the springs as far as their compressors will allow.

I notice from your other post that you said that you have to separate the brake pipe and hose to remove the strut. It certainly looked like that on mine, but when I removed the little spring clip, I could see that the bracket on the strut that the hose goes through has a cutaway in one side so that it was able to slide out.

The bracket on the new struts was "solid" and didn't have this cutaway, so I got out the Dremel and made it myself.

Sponsored Links
Back