The CH runs indepdant of the room stat when the HW is on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The CH continues to heat the rads even when the room stat is no longer calling for heat. However if the HW is turned off on the programmer then the room stat functions correctly. Can anybody help?

Sponsored Links
It is a fully pumped system open vented system with a 3port valve which I think is a honeywell mid position type.

Sponsored Links
it's sounds like it's not shutting fully when heating not called for.
if from cold your hw is calling for heat does the rad side of valve heat up ?

When the power is off the valve appears to be in the HW only position. The manual operation lever appears to run all the way to the left.

You say when power is off valve appears to be HW only position.
It depends what you mean when you say 'power is off'. If you have removed the fuse, the spring should return motor and valve to HW only position.
But if you mean both HW and CH are switched off, then thats not quite the same, because there is still power on the grey wire of the valve.
It now depends which was the last side to be switched off. If valve was last at HW when it was switched off then valve stays at HW only position.
If valve was last at CH when it was switched off then valve stays at CH only position. All that has been cut off is the supply to fire the boiler.
It's been suggested valve may be sticking and letting water by and the proof is trying HW only to see if ch side is getting hot.
The outcome of this test is awaited.
:rolleyes:

From cold I turned on HW only and there was no leaked into the CH circuit. The onlt thing that I did find was that the HW thermostate was set at 90. So I guess the boiler stat was controlling the HW temp. So I turned the HW stat to about 60. Everything now seems to be working ok. So I'm not sure if the valve had stuck but it certainly seems to be working ok now.
many thanks
Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back