The cold water storage tank in the loft has started to overflow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post ever and not sure of my way around, I’ve listed my problem the way it happened

My central heating system is a gas back boiler, been running fine for years. I usually use an electric immersion tank through the night on economy 7 for water.

The immersion element failed at start of lockdown, used back boiler gas CH to heat water.
No problems, no overflowing.

O rings worn in kitchen tap so it dripped badly, my son bought a new mixer tap online and fitted it for me, I didn’t see any type or guidance with it, could it be a wrong type?

As soon as this was done the large cold water tank in the loft started to overflow. Small CH header tank seems normal level and ok.

Off to Screwfix, new immersion element and thermostat (set to 65o). Found there was no drain tap at bottom of immersion tank so syphoned out the water as I replaced the element.
New float valve and ball cock fitted at the same time (very old and needed replacing) all went in ok water shuts off completely from valve in loft. Water heats up fine from both sources.

Still overflowing

Set float level to 2/3 of depth of tank to allow expansion, still overflowing

Water from the hot tap is crystal clear no yellow or rust colour but does seem to flow more slowly than the old tap

When the tap has run hot and is switched off for about 20 seconds when switched back on there’s a short rush of cold water before the hot returns.

Tried my hand under the kitchen tap, hot tap on then cold for 30 secs to clear any air lock.

Still overflowing

Sponsored Links
As soon as this was done the large cold water tank in the loft started to overflow. Small CH header tank seems normal level and ok.

Still overflowing
Are the bottoms of the tanks on the same level ?

You say you have a new kitchen mixer tap.

Is it by any chance the type with a ceramic cartridge? And a single joystick that goes up/down/left/right?

If so, look for a service valve under the sink on the pipe feeding it, and turn it off.

Tomorrow you can take it off and throw it in the bin or take it back for a refund.

Sponsored Links
Just taken that type out, it was working fine apart from dripping. replaced with twin tap mixer and this is when it started.
Going to try fitting a check valve as suggested by someone else. Will let you know result in a couple of days.
Many thanks for your input

Can we have a photo of your current tap please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back