The Grand Design

Pred - You will never learn, we have already determined I do not have a sense of humour, that is if you class Red Dwarf as humourus.
I stopped considering Red Dwarf type humour mildly funny when I was seven years old or maybe even before that.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
That is the point. The concept of an orbital electron is wrong if the charge is evenly distributed at least in a ring. I think we all now agree that the planetary electron was a good model for things like the periodic table etc but is very outdated now. So it follows that the electron does not exist, therefore how on earth can something that does not exist be in two or more places at the same time.
I think the Schrodinger thought experiment was a bad example of the complex question it tries to address, and for me it rather confuses the issue.
In some quarters, there are ideas that postulate nothing exists at all and what we conceive is just a manifestation of different states of energy. Einstien had it right all along.
Certainly if one accepts that the atom is very nearly nothing at all and is almost all empty space (99.99%) (Using the Bohr atom as a model) then the idea has some substance. What we see is really nothing at all other than a bit of energy reacting with radiation- whatever radiation is.

I must admit i have a problem getting my head around this 99.99% of empty space, so what you're saying is when i have a cheese and garlic sandwich it's 99.99% nothing, if i'm eating so little how come i weigh in at 20 odd stone.

Pred - I think you will find the 99.99% of empty space is referring to the space between your ears.

Sponsored Links
So if i understand this right we are all made of radiation waves, radiation is a form of light, so that makes us holograms.

http://youtu.be/9-CG6gCrPYM[/QUOTE]

NO! One postulation is that we are made of ENERGY which is in the form of MASS (E=MC^2 and all of that) but that Mass is in the form of particles which forms less than 0.01% of the space we perceive as solid matter. ie next to nothing. Those particles can be Energy or Mass and we perceive it by light which is the interaction of this energy and Electromagnetic radiation, which our complex brains turn into a model which is what we see.
Se we see a model of virtually nothing which is EM radiation, which no one knows what that is anyway.
Not my postulation but a postulation made by far more intelligent brains than mine.

so you will be able to walk through walls..? :rolleyes:

Peaps2 now you're being really silly, there is no way you can walk through walls!! you must take a run at it to ensure you pass cleanly through, dont forget to make a video of the event and post it on DIY :p :p

Peaps2 now you're being really silly, there is no way you can walk through walls!! you must take a run at it to ensure you pass cleanly through, dont forget to make a video of the event and post it on DIY :p :p

must have been that .01% that broke my nose, takes some getting through ;)

Pred - I think you will find the 99.99% of empty space is referring to the space between your ears.

You've been lying to me,you have got a sense of humour, albeit sarcasm, although sarcasm is the funniest. :LOL: :LOL:

You've been lying to me,you have got a sense of humour, albeit sarcasm, although sarcasm is the funniest. :LOL: :LOL:

It wasn't meant to be funny or sarcastic, just a statement of fact.

pred said:
-- so what you're saying is when i have a cheese and garlic sandwich it's 99.99% nothing --

Where did this 99.99% come from? Nearly all the mass of an atom is concentrated in the nucleus which, in the Bohr hydrogen atom, is 1/100,000 times the diameter of the whole atom. Since volume is proportional to diameter cubed, it follows that 99.9999999999999% of the space in the atom is empty except for its single electron. :eek: :eek: :eek:

chapeau said:
You must be putting mayonnaise on it.

Mayonnaise layer cake? :idea: :idea: :idea:

I have given this some serious thought, but lets not jump to any forgon conclusions about this, its still in the early stages and don't want any "hysterics", as the mayo is a liquid obviously its more compact due to its very nature, the fluid will fill any gaps between the nutrons and protons and any bits of string, so this MUST be the reason for my excessive weight, so will cut down on the mayo from now on. SIMPLES :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Where did this 99.99% come from? Nearly all the mass of an atom is concentrated in the nucleus which, in the Bohr hydrogen atom, is 1/100,000 times the diameter of the whole atom. Since volume is proportional to diameter cubed, it follows that 99.9999999999999% of the space in the atom is empty except for its single electron. :eek: :eek: :eek:

That figure was from me Space Cat. I quoted 99.99% because to be honest I could not remember how many 9's there were in the actual figure, so I just put a couple as a a representation.
I always prefer the pictorial representation of a Hydrogen atom being represented as the Dome of St Paul's Cathedral and the Nucleus would be, I think it was, the size of a tennis ball at the Dome centre and the electron would be the size of a Pea at the periphery of the Dome. In deed a lot of nothing there. I can't recall the actual example but it was something like that, enough to say what we perceive as solid mass is actually virtually nothing, and reality is not what we perceive.
What was your reaction to the Higgs Boson discovery announcement Yesterday?
LHC can still only get to 99.99% certainty they have found it. I wish I was 99.99% certain of winning the lottery this weekend.

On the contrary Pred, if you read my original posting, I do not credit myself with any intelligence, as I don't understand the concepts to which I refer either.
In so far as inane comments, the posting was for interest and information, and if readers do not want the information then they are at liberty to ignore it.So as degeneration of the posting has started then I will remove myself from the Watching list.

On the contrary Pred, if you read my original posting, I do not credit myself with any intelligence, as I don't understand the concepts to which I refer either.
In so far as inane comments, the posting was for interest and information, and if readers do not want the information then they are at liberty to ignore it.So as degeneration of the posting has started then I will remove myself from the Watching list.
I don't understand that one Shanealbertt - I posted those words on the 25 June

Sponsored Links
Back