The Lords are on a roll defeating the Gov on Leveson 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...turn-mps-with-vote-for-second-leveson-inquiry

Absolutely brilliant by the lords and shameful the gov voted this down.

Peers voted by 252 to 213 on Monday evening to back an amendment that called for a full investigation into unlawful conduct by newspapers, misuse of data by social media companies, and relations between the press and the police.

“It’s an inquiry into criminality, corruption and abuse,” said Lady Hollins, a crossbench who moved the amendment, justifying the decision to reject the House of Commons’ verdict. “In any other industry the press would be demanding an inquiry. And yet their opposition is uniform.”

Sponsored Links
Is the majority of the UK press Tory-supporting?

Bread, side, buttered.

Back, scratch.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...turn-mps-with-vote-for-second-leveson-inquiry

Absolutely brilliant by the lords and shameful the gov voted this down.

Peers voted by 252 to 213 on Monday evening to back an amendment that called for a full investigation into unlawful conduct by newspapers, misuse of data by social media companies, and relations between the press and the police.

“It’s an inquiry into criminality, corruption and abuse,” said Lady Hollins, a crossbench who moved the amendment, justifying the decision to reject the House of Commons’ verdict. “In any other industry the press would be demanding an inquiry. And yet their opposition is uniform.”

Lady Hollins. Is she related to John?

Sponsored Links
Lady Hollins. Is she related to John?

don't be so flippant - she is a prof of psychiatry -

If you think the lords were wrong in voting for leveson I would like to hear it.

don't be so flippant - she is a prof of psychiatry -

If you think the lords were wrong in voting for leveson I would like to hear it.

Are you telling me off?

From what I read from you I’d agree with you But know little about it.

I do think the lords are out dated and unelected so down with them

the reason they are unelected is that the government(s) want it that way.

In the event of a showdown they will always say "the Lords are unelected so we have the final say"

An elected second chamber would have more legitimacy and more power, so would weaken the government and the House of Commons.

The government doesn't want that.

An elected house of Lords would be a bad idea imo.

As they are not elected they do not need to consider the electorate so they have more freedom to voice there opinions ?

this Lords / brexit caper is entirely predictable any one who thought that the lords would not kick up over Brexit is ??????????????? :)

Sponsored Links
Back