The Man Cave : A garden office (aka fancy shed)

Electrics all put in place today - only took the morning which was good! I've now just got to bring the coax and ethernet through and can the finish insulating and get the plasterboard up. The electrician can then come back and put the faceplates on.

Sponsored Links
Ok, the sockets are now in - we have power!

I'm now doing the filling/joining of the plasterboard...in 28 degree heat....this'll be fun!

I'll probably end up putting lining paper on the walls as I'm not too sure my drylining skills have been up to par :oops:

Just wait until your finished, then er indoors will be saying she wants to move :)

Make sure your security is damn good.
Strong hinges and locks, not cheap rubbish.

Sponsored Links
Haha no way...my cave!

Yeah I've got a complete alarm going in as well as a few additional locks for the door. I've already fitted three additional window locks (top/middle/bottom) too.

With any luck I should also be able to setup this tiny computer (Raspberry Pi) to automatically do motion detection, and then start recording, while uploading to my NAS drive inside the house. That way if anyone does break in, I'll have a complete featurelength DVD to provide to the fuzz :LOL:

I'm also moving from a desktop to a laptop that I'll plug into my 2 screens, so at night and when I'm not at home, the laptop goes back in the house. That way if someone does break in, the most they will nick is a couple of cheap monitors and a TV with a ghosting problem.

Ooo I've also got a dead (empty) safe. Might stick that in the corner so any opportunists that manage to get in will hopefully grab that and run, leaving everything else behind. I guess I could just stick a brick inside it to give the impression that it's got stuff inside :mrgreen:

Looks awesome - looking forward to seeing your costs as you worked a lot harder on getting materials cheap so interested to see what the price difference is.

Sal's been in her studio for a few weeks now and really loves it - to the point where she was out there painting on Saturday. Hopefully yours will have the same effect.

I've got a rough running estimate however it's not final yet...still need to get everything properly tallied up. It'll be in the ballpark of ~£3000 though (not including any interior furnishings).

Just want to get in there now! Although the thought of having to box everything up and untangle thousands of cables isn't exactly very motivating!

Wow, that's great.

At £3k ish too - not a mega amount either.

I'm looking at going freelance too next year when the market pics up in my game - and have been eyeing up an office for £50 a week - which seemed cheap, but in theory would be £2600 a year - again not a massive amount but if i could build something like this for £3k then great!

I like a lot! Nice work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back