The REG\\\'S

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone considered the Building Regs when it comes to loft space alteration. Do not forget that under the Regs we are now the duty holder and we are responsible for the safety of anyone else visiting the property. Be aware of the distances between the new timber being installed and it is suports. The insurance companies will not pay out if the great DIY job you are so proud of is not compliant with the Building regulations. They will squeeze out of paying if at all possible. Will they not???
Any wiring that is existing or added must comply to BS 7671. No short cuts. That is the LAW.

Sponsored Links
RAYJB said:
They will squeeze out of paying if at all possible. Will they not???

Absolutely not! And a bit of an unfair comment IMHO.

Insurers will always pay out on legitimate claims where the insured has complied with all conditions imposed.

So many people complain about insurers avoiding claims etc when in fact, it is the insured's fault for not reading their conditions and making sure they comply.

In fact, insurers often overlook certain breaches and pay out anyway so in fact, they are more than reasonable.

Regards

Fred

Fred. You seem to have missed the point. The building regs are forgotten about with the enthusiasum of DIY. It is not untill the accident has happened that reality kicks in. After a lifetime of putting right the off shoot of the DIY trade, one gets a little cross when a little thought and compliance with thr regs, which are in place to protect everyone are flaunted as much as they are. This is a common fact. Contemperaries will veryfy tha fact.

RAYJB said:
After a lifetime of putting right the off shoot of the DIY trade, one gets a little cross when a little thought and compliance with thr regs.

Keeps you in business then, why get heated about it?

At the end of the day it usually comes down to ignorance of the DIY'er, so how can they be held to account if they don't know the rules?

Ok I'm playing devils advocate here, but I didn't really understand the point of your post.

Sponsored Links
Why bodge, Ignorance is no defence into days world of litigation. There is so much information out there to keep the DIY people (politically correct). The old fashioned library for a start. Try approved document A from the ODPM. This is down loadable for FREEEEEEEEEEE. This will give all the information on load bearing and timber stresses. Approved document L for conservation of energy. (Insulation in our language) again down loadable for FREEEEEEEEEEEEE. Do search the right information out. The correct way may not be the cheapest initially, but will be best in the long run.

RAYJB said:
Has anyone considered the Building Regs when it comes to loft space alteration.
I do know loads of them because I've seen it :eek: You can also tell when looking at estate agents advertising as a loft room :!:

They will get caught out when the council tax inspectors entering your property, doesn't matter if it's within the building regs because it still have to be passed by the BCO

Well done Masona. It is down to compliance with the requirements of legislation. (The Rules). Seeing how you mentioned it another source of information is from the local building control office. The can be very helpfull, but do not like having the wool pulled over there eyes. Aproached with the right manner they can be more than helpfull to anyone trying to do a good job correctly on there own.

i think you can tell people till youre blue in the face. if they want to take a shortcut to save a few quid they will. The ones that comply are the sort that always will

Shortcuts and saving a few quid is a ceratin mixture for disaster. Maybe not now but the short cuts have a very nasty habit of catching up with the perpetrater.

Part of the problem with people doing things in accordance with the building regs as they should is that a lot wouldn't like the results they ended up with. eg. joist, beam and wall sizes etc. They would probably think it was all over designed, just as many builders seem to do when they ask for structural member sizes and calculations and are given the appropriate sizes designed in accordance with the relevant british standards. Sorry if this offends any builders who dont think like that.

FredFlintstone said:
RAYJB said:
They will squeeze out of paying if at all possible. Will they not???

Absolutely not! And a bit of an unfair comment IMHO.

Insurers will always pay out on legitimate claims where the insured has complied with all conditions imposed.

So many people complain about insurers avoiding claims etc when in fact, it is the insured's fault for not reading their conditions and making sure they comply.

In fact, insurers often overlook certain breaches and pay out anyway so in fact, they are more than reasonable. What country is that in then. I will move there the moment you let me know.

Regards

Fred

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back