The sausage shaped canvas bag method of drainage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help me out here :confused:

I live in a five year old house. We're on the corner at the lowest level from our neighbours. Result is surface water runs over badly compacted surrounding gardens on to our badly compacted garden, usual builder's rubble dumped with top soil strewn on top.

In the corner at the lowest point, where the flooding is worst, I noticed the top of a rock showing through, just behind the kids' swing. I thought I better remove it, and did (it was pretty big) then proceeded to remove various bricks and bits of rubbish. Then a came across what I thought was some polythene sheeting. More investigations reveal it to be a sausage shaped bag, a bit like canvas or hessian, full of gravel. It's about 3 inches below the surface and runs for about 6 feet.

I know that the woman we bought our house from said there had been some flooding in that area (she was only here a year) and that the builder had come back and sorted it (she thought the builder had put in a deep soakaway). Turns out it was probably this bag of gravel they put in.

Now I'm quite keen to dig the whole &*%$£@# up, keep the gravel, dig deeper and make a proper soakaway to help with drainage. Question is, has anybody else come across this (bizarre) method seemingly used by the builder? It's only about a foot wide, if that.

Sponsored Links
sounds more like they have been used to form a retaining wall to stop errosion from the water

Thermo said:
sounds more like they have been used to form a retaining wall to stop errosion from the water
Interesting idea. But it's too short and shallow for that. Having looked at it again this morning I'm just going to lift it and dig a large soakaway.

Lot of info & idea if you do a search on google for French Drain.

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Lot of info & idea if you do a search on google for French Drain.
cheers masona that's exactly what it looks like. Only thing is, it doesn't go anywhere, just stops still in the middle of the wet area. It probably goes under the fence into my neighbour's also.

Planning now to dig soakaway and french drain around the fences leading to the soakaway that way hopefully it will catch the run off from surrounding properties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back