The simple task of installing a washing line....

M

Mickymoody

My current washing line is attached to my bog downpipe, which has become detached at the top, during the winter, but the bottom half is secure, with this Heath Robinson device attached that would surely catapult the entire pipe if loaded with drying washing, so the line must be relocated, as I have no ladder, or head for heights to reattach the top part.

So in preparation, drill charged, instructions how to use the drill read, safety manual skipped, drill a pilot hole in mortar, drill a bigger hole, insert rawl plug, attach some form of hook from some junk that I hoard, screw in hook, into rawl plug, job done?

WHAT could possibly go wrong?

I set about de-weeding the path today, a simple task. I'm stung, have thorns stuck in two fingers, grit in my eye, whoever invented the PPE was a genius, even though everyone ignores it! Bees attack, but don't sting, spiders, slugs, beetles, and other nasties aren't nice.

I don't know what HSS bits are, or the difference between wood/metal bits, or to use the drill clockwise, or anticlockwise...so anything may happen.

Sponsored Links
hss high speed steel metal or wood
silver with a point wood
silver with wings masonary ;)

silver with a point wood

I have no idea what you are saying Bigall, drill, drill and drill away, the whole hole wasn't getting larger, the drill bits were that blunt, and after hammering in the rawl plug, that obviously split, and demolished, eventually gave up.

silver with a point wood

I have no idea what you are saying Bigall, drill, drill and drill away, the whole hole wasn't getting larger, the drill bits were that blunt, and after hammering in the rawl plug, that obviously split, and demolished, eventually gave up.

Masonry bits are blunt. They do not cut.

You also don't place a fixing into mortar.

Sponsored Links
silver with a point wood

Masonry bits are blunt. They do not cut.

You also don't place a fixing into mortar.

All my drill bits are blunt! None could penetrate the wall, for a simple task..

I didn't realise the task, as the wall is pebbledashed...so no definition between brick and mortar, I knew it would fail! How cool is it to pre-define failure?

I installed a sat dish, with metal rawl plugs a while back, surely they are meant to go into mortar/brick?

All my drill bits are blunt! None could penetrate the wall, for a simple task..

As they should be, for masonry usage. You do understand the concept of a percussion or hammer drill, yes?

I didn't realise the task, as the wall is pebbledashed...so no definition between brick and mortar, I knew it would fail! How cool is it to pre-define failure?

Pot luck if it's rendered in any way, but you're more likely to hit brick/block than not.

I installed a sat dish, with metal rawl plugs a while back, surely they are meant to go into mortar/brick?

Brick yes, mortar no. It's hard to get any sort of mechanical fixing into mortar reliably.

It took a while, and lots of vibration, to install my origional sat dish, with an add-on to the drill, to cause a hammer effect...but no, I was using a handheld drill....to little effect.

You made me laugh so you did mickmoody==so you did :LOL: I am no builder-painter-decorator-plumber-roofer-sparky or gardener myself and can only do THEE most primitive of diy with THEE most primitive of kit to hand-but what i DO do is keep myself safe-plan ahead-and work slow to my own time--suggest you do the same and read ALL instructions for ALL the tools you have! It helps to read about the way the expert guy's on here and other sites do things and the different tools for the different jobs--if you have an interest in these things then so much the better :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back