The Way of Worms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
'A wormery is a great way of composting kitchen and small amounts of garden waste and paper and cardboard. Wormery composting worms are different species to the earthworms you see in your garden, which are not suitable, and are known as brandlings, red, manure or tiger worms. They live inside the waste in the wormery container and thanks to big appetites and a fast metabolism, break down food waste like egg shells, vegetable peelings and tea bags and turn them into compost for your garden.'

A list of the best wormeries on the market can be found @GardenersWorld.com

I've had the Original Wormery for over ten years and find it indispensable for dealing with leftover food and waste. The 'Black Gold' liquid they provide is a potent brew that will assail your sense of smell but believe me, the plants love it.

Sponsored Links
The 'Black Gold' liquid they provide is a potent brew that will assail your sense of smell but believe me, the plants love it.

They call that 'worm tea'.

Bloke on the next plot to me gathers a weed called 'comfrey', puts it in a pillowcase and chucks it in a tank of water to rot down. Stinks like píss bit a couple of capfuls of 'comfrey tea' in a watering can works wonders on the crop.

Comfrey is not a weed.

I may make that a working title for a biography.:unsure:

Sponsored Links
Comfrey is not a weed.
It is as far as I’m concerned! It started to invade my plot so I had to push it back and put up a barrier of tarpaulin to keep it on my neighbours plot. You can see it starting to hang over onto my plot beneath the blue hoop in the photo and that was a while ago before it really took hold.

IMG_0767.jpeg

Yeah, i get it, too. Although it's confined to the top of the garden where it's allowed to become wild, among all kinds of stuff.
'A weed is just a plant in the wrong place'...like the damned buttercup that persists in spreading behind the shed. Borage gets to be a problem at this time of year but makes excellent salad fodder when young shoots appear. There's always a use for this stuff, so it's not a weed in the same sense as Japanese Knotweed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back