OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garage attached to my semi detached house

I wanted to do one of 2 things:

- turn into an extra room

OR

- turn into a self contained studio flat (i.e. with cooking facilities + toiler and shower)

Question: do I need to get council permission to do either of the above?

One important consideration though! In the middle of the garage floor is what looks like a manhole

Does this put a spanner in the works!?

I asked someone who knew a 'little' about doing extensions - they told me that the process would involve asking the water company to relocate the manhole - and that I would have to bear the cost of this (assuming any required permissions where granted to get the work done)

Any replies would be great

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
You may not need P.P. unless there are parking issues but you will need to certify any relevant work through Building Reg's.

One important consideration though! In the middle of the garage floor is what looks like a manhole
Not a huge problem. If you can relocate then do so. If not, fit a screw down double seal air tight lid to the chamber. If it is a private sewer then it is nowt to do with the water company.

great! thanks for the reply

You may not need P.P. unless there are parking issues but you will need to certify any relevant work through Building Reg's.
no parking issues, this does not effect anyone else - but i will speak to building regs

Not a huge problem. If you can relocate then do so. If not, fit a screw down double seal air tight lid to the chamber. If it is a private sewer then it is nowt to do with the water company.
hmmm - i'm 100% sure it must be a private sewer - what u say is great news!

question: who do i go to, to verify that it is indeed a private sewer? water company or council?

also though: there are pipes going down the side of the house - which is inside the garage - does this stop my plans of either a separate room or self contained studio?

also: after making my post, i thought i'd do a google search on the subject - i didn't think i'd get any results - but there where loads - i was really worried - there where plenty of forum posts with people scratching their heads because a sewer at the back of their garden was a public one (or something to that effect)!

thanks!

You may not need P.P. unless there are parking issues

Or if there's a condition/covenant preventing the conversion under Permitted Development. Your LPA will be able to confirm this.

Your LA may have sewer record maps, which are viewable to the public. On there, it'll show the public sewers. 99% of the time, drainage runs within ones boundary are private. In some instances, a property could be at the end of a run of houses and thus the end house receives the drainage from all other houses.

Sponsored Links
thats really useful to know
thanks for letting me know

Most semis have a drain down the side of the house that serves only their house. Some have 2 - foul and rainwater.

Do your neighbours have a similar manhole?

Lift the lid and see how big the pipes are - 4" probably means it serves only your house.

Flush toilets / pour water down gulleys and see if all the inlets into the chamber are used for your drains.

All clues to help tell if it is solely yours or not.

Ive just done the drawings for the exact same situation.

Ive specified to leave the manhole in place, raise the hight to new floor level and fit a double sealed screw down cover. The trick is to use am 'inset' cover which is recessed so that the floor covering can be laid inside the cover meaning all you see is a thin line rather than a big iron lid. Works especially well on tiled floors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back