thermal conductive floorboards....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not sure if this topic should be in this section (sorry).....

Hi all.... does anybody know of any other thermal conductive floorboards out there in the market?.... the only one i could find was the Knauf Brio.

we are having underfloor heating (water system,not electric) in the whole house and for the upstairs we originally specified 18mm WBP plywood floorboards which will be carpeted upon. I then realised that the plywood will actually be an "insulator" and not a good conductor of the underfloor radiated heat See the weblink below. thanks in advance

http://www.knaufdrywall.co.uk/product-range-overview/flooring/knauf-brio

Sponsored Links
Make a section drawing of what you think you should have, and then consult with the heating installers and Knauf.
Keep FFL's in mind.

What's the construction of the upper floor anyway? Timber joists or concrete beam and block construction? The knauf brio system seems designed to be used on concrete floors as a replacement for the screed. I don't think it's suitable if you have timber joists supporting the upper floor.

Sponsored Links
dann09...what sectional drawing?...the plumbers are thick as it is! I don't wonna confuse them even more... thus is the reason i am doing my own leg work!.... and what is FFL?

joinerjohn.... the upper floor is timber construction!...who has concrete upper floors!....and no the Knauf Brio system is designed for "both" concrete and timber floors.....

pinenot....that wundafloor heating website is not what i'm looking for.

my underfloor system upstairs will be on joists..inbetween the joists will be battens..on top of the battens will be 50mm of phenolic insulation...on this insulation will be laid my underfloor heating.... the whole floor will then be screeded to the top of the joists with a very drymix (8:1) to create a thermal mass... on top of this is where i need my "thermal conducting boards"....someone plssssss helpppppppp!!!...... see the link below to fully understand! (bottom of the page; biscuit mix)

http://www.centralunderfloorheating...g-installation/underfloor-heating-screed.html

FFL = Finished Floor Level

I think you are being taken in by marketing *******s like Knauff saying their product is "thermally transparent ". This means nothing at all: just maketing clap-trap.

Their brochures are not very informative and give insulating values in strange ways. They do for example say that Brio has an R value of 0.38W/M/K which is a format I have never seen before. R values are always quoted with a thickness because it is giving you the value for that product ( i.e. 30 mm board ) and not for the material which is the lamda value.

Don't forget, everything is an insulator, even a sheet of newspaper. Things are not absolutely divided into insulators and conductors ( conductors are simply bad insulators ).

If I have interpreted it correctly, the above board has the same insulating value as a 50 mm softwood board and if you can get away with using the 18 mm WBP boards, then you gain height and have a fater warm-up time.

If still unsure, contact Knauff technical and ask them outright whether their product ( select a thickness ) insulates more or less than the 18 mm WBP . If they insist on quoting figures then try and get them to e-mail them because on some meausres a bigger number is better and on others it is a smaller number.

I generally find Tech Services people to be straightforward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back