Thermostat options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Greenstar 30i ErP boiler with a British Gas RS2 wired room thermostat.

I would like, if possible, to change the room thermostat to one that allows two different temperature settings i.e., a lower nighttime setting.
I would appreciate any thoughts on this and recommendations for suitable replacement thermostats.
Where possible, I would like to remain wired so to keep it simple as my partner is not tech savvy and the thought of wireless problems when I'm not home will cause me grief.
many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You can get a Nest installed for about £250, you can set a routine, turn it on/off up down etc from your mobile or if you have a smart speaker, you can tell it to turn the heat up or down. The dial is also very easy to use.

Just have a search on the internet, no recommendations, just stay clear of Salus/Altech, Horstmann/Secure and really cheap “smart” thermostats and you should be ok. Once you’ve found one, just read the product/technical details and it should tell you if there’s a setback setting,

Sponsored Links
Thanks but as in the post I want to stay wired as barring a power cut it continues to work.
I'm a great believer in keeping it simple and smart systems can quickly become dumb.
So it's a suitable hard wired programmable thermostat I'm after suggestions for (and ones to avoid)

Thanks but as in the post I want to stay wired as barring a power cut it continues to work.
I'm a great believer in keeping it simple and smart systems can quickly become dumb.
So it's a suitable hard wired programmable thermostat I'm after suggestions for (and ones to avoid)

Above I am asking because my uncle also wants to do this.

He told me his current thermostats were 3 wire. And the setback one seems to need 4. Will there be a spare wire already there, which currently isn't used? I find electrics very difficult, but it seemed like something I should ask.

Do you need an extra wire to use setback?
I’ve no idea on the eph one, but the Heatmiser seems to need 4 core for setback. However for your uncle, perhaps a wireless type or battery and mains type may suit instead?

I’ve no idea on the eph one, but the Heatmiser seems to need 4 core for setback. However for your uncle, perhaps a wireless type or battery and mains type may suit instead?
I don't really understand the ones that can use either battery or mains. But my best guess is that they use a battery if there are only two wires, and mains if there are three?

I don't really understand the ones that can use either battery or mains. But my best guess is that they use a battery if there are only two wires, and mains if there are three?
Usually yes, as a lot of 2 wire thermostats are just live and switch live, the 3rd wire is often the neutral wire for some thermostats to work better for less of a temperature swing, such as a Honeywell T6360. A battery one is suitable as they don’t require a neutral wire.

I would like, if possible, to change the room thermostat to one that allows two different temperature settings i.e., a lower nighttime setting.
I would appreciate any thoughts on this and recommendations for suitable replacement thermostats.
Where possible, I would like to remain wired so to keep it simple as my partner is not tech savvy and the thought of wireless problems when I'm not home will cause

I've sent you a PM as we are after exactly the same thing.

Anyway, this is what my uncle and I have come up with so far. Two options, both by Honeywell, available at Screwfix.

The first option is a straight forward digital thermostat, the DT90e. But is has an additional ECO button. Each night, before you go to bed, you can press the ECO button to set it to a lower temperature, for whatever number of hours you choose. So, you might want it to go down to, say, 16 degrees overnight, for 6 hours. After that it will return to the normal temperature.

The second option is a bit more advanced. It is a programmable thermostat, the T3. You can set it so that it will automatically go to the reduced temperature overnight. It costs £15 more.

On the Screwfix website, they both say 2 or 3 wire, and mains or battery powered. That's the only bit I'm a bit confused by, but I think I understand it now following discussion above.

Other brands and retailers are available!!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Nest is hard wired. The control unit supplies the thermostat with DC power via the existing wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back