Can a hive thermostat be used with my Worcester 35CDi boiler with its existing wireless receiver?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to upgrade our boiler thermostat to a Hive, if possible, but l need some advice please.
My current gas Combi boiler is a Worcester 35CDi already fitted with a Worcester wireless thermostat receiver. The current wireless thermostat is a British Gas PT plus programmable type (i.e. rebadged Drayton) and relatively new. Photos attached.
Would the boiler’s current Worcester wireless thermostat receiver work with a Hive, or would l need to wire in a new Hive receiver? Thanks. Mark

Attachments

• 53DF5E24-AB62-4FDF-96F0-A1C6C8BEFBF7.jpeg
    53DF5E24-AB62-4FDF-96F0-A1C6C8BEFBF7.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 104
  • EE1A8DF7-7540-42A4-A39E-9CB042764C41.jpeg
    EE1A8DF7-7540-42A4-A39E-9CB042764C41.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 100
Sponsored Links
As above, and existing may need to be disconnected or set to override if it’ll stay on permanently.

Sponsored Links
As above, and existing may need to be disconnected or set to override if it’ll stay on permanently.
Just had a look behind the Worcester wireless receiver on my 35CDi. The boiler was originally specified with a wireless receiver, and ‘stat. Looking closely l can’t see any connections where a new receiver could be connected to . The wireless receiver front panel is connected via 3 wires to another PCB. Is it possible to connect a Hive receiver to this somehow? Thanks in anticipation

Attachments

• 2B9942F4-D7C4-45BE-B211-3F295EC65E3F.jpeg
    2B9942F4-D7C4-45BE-B211-3F295EC65E3F.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 2ED1CE7D-7E21-4E1A-955E-5A5F50DC5A34.jpeg
    2ED1CE7D-7E21-4E1A-955E-5A5F50DC5A34.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 83
Im not sure off hand, but might just be able to remove both ribbon connections and put the plastic housing back in and then wire the hive into the relevant terminals on the pcb. Will need the manual to confirm, something I can’t do just yet as I’m busy.

Disconnect lead from clock to pcb and make safe. The new connections are made at the bottom left of the PCB, beside where the mains power connects to the boiler.
The manual below may help?

Attachments

• Worcester 35 CDi MKI Installation and Servicing Instructions.pdf
    813.4 KB · Views: 137
I'm about to do the same - Did imiller9 have it correct? Assuming you disconnect ribbon and ignore, then take out the Ls & Lr into Hive? Please let me know, as Worcester won't do it.
Also, does yours already have a connection to the Ls & Lr? I think it is for the old thermostat which would mean no connectors on yours.

I'm about to do the same - Did imiller9 have it correct? Assuming you disconnect ribbon and ignore, then take out the Ls & Lr into Hive? Please let me know, as Worcester won't do it.
Also, does yours already have a connection to the Ls & Lr? I think it is for the old thermostat which would mean no connectors on yours.
If you have the same setup then you shouldnt have any wires in LS&LR but there will be a link that has to be roved and LS&LR wired to 1&3 on the hive receiver, you will need to take L&N from the boiler wiring to L&N on the Hive

If you have the same setup then you shouldnt have any wires in LS&LR but there will be a link that has to be roved and LS&LR wired to 1&3 on the hive receiver, you will need to take L&N from the boiler wiring to L&N on the Hive
I have a wired thermostat downstairs (rather than the wireless one in the OP) and so according to my basic knowledge of wiring and the manual above, should be the existing connection. Hoping the OP can confirm his was working correctly afterwards which would give me a bit more confidence to do it.

I have a wired thermostat downstairs (rather than the wireless one in the OP) and so according to my basic knowledge of wiring and the manual above, should be the existing connection. Hoping the OP can confirm his was working correctly afterwards which would give me a bit more confidence to do it.
This is why it is against site rules to Hi-Jack existing posts, you do not have the same set up, you really need to start your own post and add pics of what you have, it just gets really confusing when we advise you and have to try to remember which set up is yours

This is why it is against site rules to Hi-Jack existing posts, you do not have the same set up, you really need to start your own post and add pics of what you have, it just gets really confusing when we advise you and have to try to remember which set up is yours
Thanks, wasn't really considering this was hi-jacking though, as the original question of whether the OP sorted his out is still valid... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back