1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing Hive receiver to boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Paul DIYer, 28 Sep 2021.

1. Paul DIYer

Paul DIYer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I'd like to install a Hive single channel receiver to control the central heating from my Worcester Greenstar HE boiler.

The current Honeywell thermostat only has two core wire to it acting as a live switch and is battery powered. My thinking is remove this cable from the boiler and using 5 core heat cable wire the Hive receiver in. From the Hive receiver I want to wire L, N, Earth , 1 (Common) and 3 (Heating on) to the boiler terminals in the photo I think? L,N and earth are obvious but not sure where to connection 1(common) and 3(heating on) from Hive should go. Currently the thermostat is wired to Ls and LR. Photos of either end of that cable attached.

All help appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Only a 3 core cable to Hive is required. If you use one with a green/yellow wire then it should have a brown sleeve over the ends if it's being used as a live wire.

Ls = 'Live supply' to Hive L
    Ns = 'Neutral supply' to Hive N
    Lr = 'Live return to Hive 3' (heating on)

Add a link between Hive terminals L and 1 (common) so that they are electrically connected

The mains supply to the boiler N and L remain as is.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Paul DIYer

Paul DIYer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Stem, super quick and clear reply.
    P