thermostatic mixer shower problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a Triton Dew mixer shower. It is fed from a closed system/combi boiler. Cant get it to run at a controlled temperature - it is either red hot or cold. The temperature control seems to be very sensitive! Any ideas why this is or what i can try??

Sponsored Links
It's thermostatically controlled so it should provide a controllable temp.

Are your hot and cold supplies providing equal litres/min? Does your bath or basin taps have similar flow rates?

Have you fitted isolation valves?

Andy.

Yes, this usually happens if you have Mains pressure cold and tank-fed hot.

However, you have a Combi so I wonder if you have fitted Hot and Cold pipes to Cold and Hot inlets?

if so take it off and fit it upside down.

Some thermostatic valves are supplied with a choice of flow restrictor inserts that must be fitted according to the pressures available at the hot and cold. Some manufacturers insist you should have a pressure reducing valve on the cold side, although my experience of thermostatic valve problems have often be due to faulty cartridges (the thermostatic bit) even on brand new ones.

Sponsored Links
It's thermostatically controlled so it should provide a controllable temp.

Are your hot and cold supplies providing equal litres/min? Does your bath or basin taps have similar flow rates?

Have you fitted isolation valves?

Andy.
The cold pressure/flow is much faster as it is mains pressure. The hot pressure is from the combi boiler so quite weak. This is true on all our taps.
Have not fitted isolatin valves.

Thanks

Yes, this usually happens if you have Mains pressure cold and tank-fed hot.

However, you have a Combi so I wonder if you have fitted Hot and Cold pipes to Cold and Hot inlets?

if so take it off and fit it upside down.

Thanks - pretty sure I have it correct but will check. As it is a rigid pipe fitting I can't really turn it upside down but is it possible to swap sides for the mixer cartridge with the thermostat ?

Some thermostatic valves are supplied with a choice of flow restrictor inserts that must be fitted according to the pressures available at the hot and cold. Some manufacturers insist you should have a pressure reducing valve on the cold side, although my experience of thermostatic valve problems have often be due to faulty cartridges (the thermostatic bit) even on brand new ones.

No sign or mention of flow restrictor insert but I will look into the pressure reducing valve option.

Thanks

even if you take the outlet pipe off and turn it upside down just for an experiment, that will tell you. on a surface-mounted shower this is often quite easy so worth a try. the instructions should tell you which side is hot inlet, so check that.

but you say hot flow is poor so that might be the cause. Usually on a combi the hot and cold pressure are the same so mixers are balanced.

if you have service valves on the shower supply, you can turn the cold down a bit (this reduces flow more than pressure and is not usually considered best practice, but is an easy thing to try)

even if you take the outlet pipe off and turn it upside down just for an experiment, that will tell you. on a surface-mounted shower this is often quite easy so worth a try. the instructions should tell you which side is hot inlet, so check that.

but you say hot flow is poor so that might be the cause. Usually on a combi the hot and cold pressure are the same so mixers are balanced.

if you have service valves on the shower supply, you can turn the cold down a bit (this reduces flow more than pressure and is not usually considered best practice, but is an easy thing to try)

Ahah! I checked and yes I have got the feeds wrong. I will either try to see if it will work upside down, OR I can change the feeds round, OR I will contact Triton and see if the mixer cartridge and temp control cartidge can be swapped around. As I had issues in getting it mounted and conected leak free I don't fancy taking it off the wall now. Does any one know if my idea to change the control elements round is viable??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back